PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 PPC No Applications Will Open!

chort27
February 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
So I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my G3 iBook, and whenever I try to open an application it shows the 'opening' message on the bottom, but the application never starts up. I can open my file browser just fine, however I cannot edit any of the files because I can't open a text editor. I also can't install updates because the administration preferences won't open!
Any help?

jjpcexpert
February 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM
So I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my G3 iBook, and whenever I try to open an application it shows the 'opening' message on the bottom, but the application never starts up. I can open my file browser just fine, however I cannot edit any of the files because I can't open a text editor. I also can't install updates because the administration preferences won't open!
Any help?
Get a MacTel and install Ubuntu and GRUB EFI on top of that.
Mactel = Intel/Macintosh

chort27
February 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
i have an intel mac. but i dont want to put linux on it. thats why im putting it on my non-intel mac, cuz i dont care if i screw that one up.

ghostz
February 21st, 2009, 07:29 AM
im having the same issues is ther any kind of fix ?

chort27
February 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
I downgraded to 8.04 and it works flawlessly now. I also fixed the no desktop effects issue on it too :D 0 but that required a little more work then just downgrading... but it wasn't too hard.

ghostz
February 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM
try maxing out ur ram

chort27
February 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
try maxing out ur ram

i don't know how... ubuntu is my main OS... nothing else installed on my mac

ghostz
February 26th, 2009, 01:35 AM
i don't know how... ubuntu is my main OS... nothing else installed on my mac

ok what u do is u just ad memory to ur pc how much physical memory do u have on ur pc ? 512,256,128?

chort27
February 26th, 2009, 01:48 AM
ok what u do is u just ad memory to ur pc how much physical memory do u have on ur pc ? 512,256,128?

256 I think, I can open in failsafe terminal mode.... Is there a cmd I can type to fix stuff

cyberdork33
February 26th, 2009, 04:05 AM
256 I think, I can open in failsafe terminal mode.... Is there a cmd I can type to fix stuff
he is talking about purchasing RAM and installing it in the machine.

pzl00
April 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Any help?
------------------------------------------------

I have the exact same problem with Ubuntu 8.10. My G3 has 512m memory. Ubuntu 8.04 ran OK on the same iBook.
Any fix for this yet, or any more ideas? Thanks in advance.
-------------------------------------------------

Jumpin Jack Flash
April 24th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Most likely the Altivec libpixman issue have a look here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=961107 on page 2 for my resolution

stream303
April 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
The easiest fix is to either go back to 8.04.x, or move up to 9.04 Jaunty. Intrepid 8.10 had some major infrastructure problems in addition to initial installation issues for ppc.

You have enough ram to support 9.04, although with the G3 you'll probably want to lighten things up if it proved a bit sluggish - which would have been the same issue with a golden 8.10.

Easiest tip if you run Ubuntu on a G3 and want to gain some extra desktop snappiness is to turn off desktop animations (ie you'll use wireframe window drags etc)

As a user, fire up the terminal and then make some changes to Gnome:

gconf-editor

Look for Apps > Metacity > General and make sure that reduced resources is checked.

There are many other tips that can help aside from running a different DE or perhaps just a window manager. With 512mb on board, you may find this tip acceptable.

ubonetu
April 25th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I had the same problem on my iBook White:

http://members.cox.net/koistone/libpixman-1-0_0.12.0-1_powerpc.deb

If you switch to console via ctrl-opt/alt F1 and run

sudo dpkg -i libpixman-1-0_0.12.0-1_powerpc.deb

Then reboot or ctrl-opt/alt F7 and kill the xserver: which is something like opt/alt-command-shift-delete or fn-delete and log back in, you'll be fine, just uncheck libpixman's upgrade request when you are updating.

I'm running 9.04 and it has some xserver problems (locks on sleep, etc.). You may want to stay on 8.10 for a while.

Hope that works for you. I didn't write it, I just wanted to make sure I had a copy handy.