PDA

View Full Version : Please post screenshots of new notification system

tgpraveen
February 19th, 2009, 11:40 AM
So people those who are testing jaunty please post some screenshots as many as possible for the new notifications so that we can see how they look.

if possible
give high resolution pics and pics of very small size ones.

also use the default theme of ubuntu to see how it will look out of the box and also posting with other themes then name the theme.

this will help those who haven't got the time or courage to test jaunty but cant wait to see how it looks.

ALSO u can post screenshots of any other new and sxciting changes in jaunty.

thx.

TomaszD
February 19th, 2009, 01:29 PM
It looks nice when changing screen brightness, but the volume indication does not show up. I'm testing UXA (Compiz on, GMA950), so maybe that's the problem. Either way, it should be fixed.

Also, try changing the positioning of the indications in "Pop-up notifications". The placement settings are disregarded.

Good effort, needs some more love.

tgpraveen
February 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
pls post pictures.

jmmL
February 19th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Here's a screenshot of a notification for a song change with Rhythmbox.

EDIT: My install has a reasonable amount of customisation. I'm using the Glow Ibex theme (v2 i think), which runs on the gtk-aurora engine. I'm also running firefox-3.1 pre-b3 with some minor layout changes. Other than that, it's pretty standard.

tgpraveen
February 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
thx jmmL. pls post more of different notifications. does it work with empathy or pidgin yet?

jmmL
February 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Sorry, can't at the moment: I've got work which needs doing. Maybe tomorrow when I'm finished.

I'm sure someone else will post some up.

medeshago
February 19th, 2009, 03:02 PM
It doesn't work with neither of both.

dr_kabuto
February 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM
<^>Applications Resources System E F <| # Thu 19 feb, 14:50
|***************************|
[___________________________]

[] [][][][]V

;)

taavikko
February 19th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Screenshot just showing rhythmbox notification from switching song

MadsRH
February 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM
This post contains a few screenshots: http://anotherubuntu.blogspot.com/2009/02/notifications-in-wild.html

medeshago
February 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Don't know why, but my Rhythmbox notifications don't work. If I try the new notification with notify-send everything works right, but I get nothing from Rhythmbox.

napsy
February 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hm I have Jaunty but no new notifications. Just the old one. Is there a special configuration to activate the new look?

melalcoolique
February 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Check that you have notify-send and notify-osd installed.

ELD
February 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I think it looks cool, one place where everything can tell you what is going on, i like the idea of bringing them together in one panel type thing.

retrow
February 20th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Its a bit cranky on my system. There's an option to set the corner in which you want your notifications to appear.

System >> Preferences >> PopUp Notifications

I specifically set it to appear at bottom right corner. But for some reason the notifications are always appearing in 'top right ' corner. Here are two screenshots: One where I asked for a preview after setting the location, and the other one which notified a track change in Rhythmbox.

medeshago
February 20th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Don't know if it works like this all the time (I used amarok until two weeks ago) but Rhythmbox's notifications only appear when Rhythmbox is minimized. If they are meant to work this way, how can I make the notifications appear even if Rhythmbox isn't minimized?

mc4100
February 20th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Don't know if it works like this all the time (I used amarok until two weeks ago) but Rhythmbox's notifications only appear when Rhythmbox is minimized. If they are meant to work this way, how can I make the notifications appear even if Rhythmbox isn't minimized?

You just don't need a notification if the window's open: chances are, if that's the case, you've just manually selected a track. I think it's kind of smart.

medeshago
February 20th, 2009, 04:03 AM
You just don't need a notification if the window's open: chances are, if that's the case, you've just manually selected a track. I think it's kind of smart.

If I have Rhythmbox open in another workspace I need the notification as much as I need it if I had it opened and not minimized.

mpt
February 20th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Its a bit cranky on my system. There's an option to set the corner in which you want your notifications to appear … I specifically set it to appear at bottom right corner. But for some reason the notifications are always appearing in 'top right ' corner.

That’s a bug (http://launchpad.net/bugs/332014). That “Notification Settings” window applies to the old notification system, and shouldn’t be showing up when you’re running the new system.

medeshago
February 20th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Now pidgin works great with notify-osd:

You can't click it or interact in any way with the pop up, I like it still.

oasick
February 20th, 2009, 06:13 PM
This is my desktop with the Rhythmbox notify and the volume notify. With Rhythmbox notify don't appears the cover image and the volume dont's shows the icons (the volume scale)

I use Dust Theme with Aurora Engine + SudUbuntu icons + AWN

...a small request:
When the developers will realize that the default theme is an authentic junk that nobody likes?

m.rankovic
February 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
Brightnrss

Volume

Rhythmbox

Controls: Clearlooks Brave (Clearlooks Colors)
Window Border: Glossy
Icons: Gnome-Brave (Gnome Colors)

Stereotypical Rage
February 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
...a small request:
When the developers will realize that the default theme is an authentic junk that nobody likes?

When you realize that this is a work in progress and we all have to start somewhere.:p

PRGUY85
February 22nd, 2009, 03:19 PM
@m. rankovic

You need to use the Human icons for the icons on volume/brightness to show

BwackNinja
February 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Or you can copy all the notification-* icons from /usr/share/icons/Human/scalable/status/ to your icon theme or even better, the gnome icon theme.

oasick
February 22nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks BwackNinja !
Now the volume notify icons works with SudUbuntu theme :)

oasick
February 22nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Now my Desktop looks like this with the volume notify

Dust theme + SudUbuntu icons + AWN

wedderburn
February 22nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
@m. rankovic

You need to use the Human icons for the icons on volume/brightness to show

why arn't they sym linked to the hicolour folder so that all themes can use it.

xens
February 22nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Or you can copy all the notification-* icons from /usr/share/icons/Human/scalable/status/ to your icon theme or even better, the gnome icon theme.

zekopeko
February 22nd, 2009, 11:42 PM
i find the icons for notifications very nice. could they be a part of a larger icon theme?

phoogkamer
February 23rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Notifications look very good, but there are some things that need to be fixed. De location of the notification windows is partially on top of the panel and when I do a mouse over the notification windows fades to not readable.

zekopeko
February 23rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Notifications look very good, but there are some things that need to be fixed. De location of the notification windows is partially on top of the panel and when I do a mouse over the notification windows fades to not readable.

that's how it's meant to work.

MacSlow
February 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
This is my desktop with the Rhythmbox notify and the volume notify. With Rhythmbox notify don't appears the cover image and the volume dont's shows the icons (the volume scale)

I use Dust Theme with Aurora Engine + SudUbuntu icons + AWN

...a small request:

Switch to the Human icon-theme and missing icons for synchronous (e.g. volume, display/keyboard-brightness) are a thing of the past. We'll provide fallback icons for the gnome icon set for the meantime until the additionally introduced icons names are picked up by upstream (gnome icon set). Other icon sets will need to adapt too. We'll focus on the our default (human) and make sure to inform gnome about additions.

MacSlow
February 23rd, 2009, 09:46 PM

Hm... did you change the resolution after you started your gnome-session?

MacSlow
February 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Brightnrss

Volume

Rhythmbox

Controls: Clearlooks Brave (Clearlooks Colors)
Window Border: Glossy
Icons: Gnome-Brave (Gnome Colors)

The notification bubble being over the panel is a known bug. For the moment you can just "killall -15 notify-osd" in a terminal. That'll restart notify-osd once a new notification arrives. The problem here is, that upon session-startup notify-osd is started before gnome-panel and will not know about the strut (real available desktop space). We'll fix that don't worry.

Regarding the missing icons in volume/brightness, make sure to use the Human icon set. We introduce new icon-names for these, which are not set in the icon-name-space and thus are missing from other icon sets.

MacSlow
February 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
i find the icons for notifications very nice. could they be a part of a larger icon theme?

No they are not. Strictly for notifications.

puccaso
February 23rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
i do not see any of the brightness nor volume change notifications... i just get empty black boxes..

i see pidgin notifications and network-manager notifications however.

how do i fix the other notifications? what is missing.. could it be the icon set i use?

dentaku65
February 24th, 2009, 12:25 AM
mmm... I don't see any new notifications, I'm using clearlooks...

zekopeko
February 24th, 2009, 12:38 AM
i do not see any of the brightness nor volume change notifications... i just get empty black boxes..

i see pidgin notifications and network-manager notifications however.

how do i fix the other notifications? what is missing.. could it be the icon set i use?

they only work with Human icon set. To fix that do this

props to BwackNinja for this

dentaku65
February 24th, 2009, 08:03 AM
they only work with Human icon set. To fix that do this

props to BwackNinja for this

Sorry, I switch to Human theme, but I don't get these new notifications... for instance I don't get notification at all, no baloon popup (network manager connection) and no OSD (volume stuff) either...
:confused:

phoogkamer
February 24th, 2009, 08:57 AM
@MacSlow
I did change my resolution after starting gnome-session. Running jaunty in vmware left me with a 800x600 resolution start. So that's to small for my screen. Should I restart the notify for this resolution change? How can I do this?

MacSlow
February 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
@MacSlow
I did change my resolution after starting gnome-session. Running jaunty in vmware left me with a 800x600 resolution start. So that's to small for my screen. Should I restart the notify for this resolution change? How can I do this?

Just do "killall -15 notify-osd" in a terminal. Once a new notification comes up notify-osd will automatically be restarted.

dentaku65
February 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Just do "killall -15 notify-osd" in a terminal. Once a new notification comes up notify-osd will automatically be restarted.

I did
killall -15 notify-osd
and the notificatios now are visible, but if I reboot my box no notifications are available.

Vaun
February 24th, 2009, 10:29 PM
This is really coming along nice. Great work. :)

lee.jarratt
February 24th, 2009, 11:02 PM

Hmm, I'm fully updated and my notifications look no where near as nice as yours, also mine still go over the top panel. ??

Lee

amano
February 25th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Other icon sets will need to adapt too. We'll focus on the our default (human) and make sure to inform gnome about additions.

Wouldn't it be more practical to hardcode those icons for now and deliver them within the libnotify package? Otherwise you break all icon sets until upstream or the icon sets themselves pick them up?

Sand & Mercury
February 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Installed libnotify-bin and notify-osd in Kubuntu now just to see how they look. They are purdy, to say the least.

*removes packages again*

olskar
February 25th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Wouldn't it be more practical to hardcode those icons for now and deliver them within the libnotify package? Otherwise you break all icon sets until upstream or the icon sets themselves pick them up?

+1 for hardcoding

soapytheclown
February 25th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hmm, I'm fully updated and my notifications look no where near as nice as yours, also mine still go over the top panel. ??

Lee

exactly the same problem here :(

lee.jarratt
February 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM
exactly the same problem here :(

Mine seems to be working as it should now, I just rebooted.

MacSlow
February 26th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Here, even more screenshots (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotificationDevelopmentGuidelines#Layout%20cases%2 0(with%20examples%20in%20C,%20Python%20and%20C#)) of notification-bubbles. This is using notify-osd trunk, which has much crisper text-rendering.

Best regards ...

MacSlow

lee.jarratt
February 26th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Here, even more screenshots (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotificationDevelopmentGuidelines#Layout%20cases%2 0(with%20examples%20in%20C,%20Python%20and%20C#)) of notification-bubbles. This is using notify-osd trunk, which has much crisper text-rendering.

Best regards ...

MacSlow

How can I receive updates from notify-osd trunk? Is there a PPA for it? (launchpad is currently down :()

MacSlow
February 26th, 2009, 02:24 AM
How can I receive updates from notify-osd trunk? Is there a PPA for it? (launchpad is currently down :()

Either grab the source and compile it yourself, like this ...

bzr checkout lp:notify-osd
cd notify-osd
bzr unbind
./autogen.sh; make
killall -15 notify-osd
src/notify-osd &

Or wait until friday or saturday. By then a new package of notify-osd should hit the repos.

Best regards ...

MacSlow

Flywaver
February 27th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Ok so far the notifications works fine with Banshee but the volume notification gives me a blank notification...in either Human or glossy or industrial themes.

http://www.postimage.org/gx1tc9GJ.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx1tc9GJ)http://www.postimage.org/PqjLrG9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqjLrG9)

!nkubus
February 27th, 2009, 04:14 AM

Great tastes Dredg are awesome

dentaku65
February 27th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Btw, just an information; in order to use on my system notify-osd I have to execute the command

killall -15 notify-osd
is this, for the moment, the way to have the new notifications or there is something incorrect to my system?
Thx.

Yes_It's_Me
February 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I really wish they would have dedicated settings (in pop-up settings or in font settings) to easily change the font size of the notification bubbles (which will require scaling of the actual boxes), I find it very hard to read the small 0.8x application font size. That is not usable.

Flywaver
February 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
grrr...upgraded to Alpha 5 and I still can't get the volume notifications to work! :(

Networking and Banshee notifications work fine though.

tgpraveen
February 27th, 2009, 04:48 PM
i really wish they would have dedicated settings (in pop-up settings or in font settings) to easily change the font size of the notification bubbles (which will require scaling of the actual boxes), i find it very hard to read the small 0.8x application font size. That is not usable.

+1

medeshago
February 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM
grrr...upgraded to Alpha 5 and I still can't get the volume notifications to work! :(

Networking and Banshee notifications work fine though.

Try this:

sudo cp /usr/share/icons/Human/scalable/status/notification-* /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/status/

killall -15 notify-osd

Flywaver
February 28th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Try this:

sudo cp /usr/share/icons/Human/scalable/status/notification-* /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/status/

killall -15 notify-osd

Thank YOU !!!

http://www.postimage.org/aVoptmS.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVoptmS) :D

Yes_It's_Me
February 28th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Has anyone else noticed that suddenly the notifications are much larger and consequently, easier to read? Maybe someone took note of my bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/335383

Good improvement I say, but I would still like the ability to change font size myself (though this new size fits me perfectly!).

MacSlow
March 1st, 2009, 04:13 AM
Has anyone else noticed that suddenly the notifications are much larger and consequently, easier to read? Maybe someone took note of my bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/335383

Good improvement I say, but I would still like the ability to change font size myself (though this new size fits me perfectly!).

The size and face of the fonts - used for notifications - is picked up from gconf (your system-wide settings for GNOME). It would be unwise to provide a separate settings-dialog just for that. Right now it's just picked up at startup of notify-osd. This means if you change your system-wide font-settings after you logged in (read: notify-osd was started) this change will not affect the text rendered in the notification-bubbles until you restart notify-osd or log out and in again. But this behaviour will be changed to be runtime-dynamic for 9.04.

Best regards ...

Mirco "MacSlow" Müller

biasquez
March 1st, 2009, 03:26 PM
hi, i have problem with notify: if i use human icons (default icon) all works fine, but if i use different icons, i have problem with notify for example with volume status, etc...

another question: is it possible to change size of popup notification?

Jay_Bee
March 1st, 2009, 05:01 PM
hi, i have problem with notify: if i use human icons (default icon) all works fine, but if i use different icons, i have problem with notify for example with volume status, etc...
That is a known bug. (https://bugs.launchpad.net/notify-osd/+bug/331383)

another question: is it possible to change size of popup notification?
No.

Flywaver
March 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Now pidgin works great with notify-osd:

How did you get pidgin to work with the notifications??

kvarley
March 1st, 2009, 05:47 PM
The attached file is of the notifications in Jaunty. Pidgin.

Flywaver
March 1st, 2009, 05:49 PM
Yes lol I see it works but I am wondering *how* we get it to work!! :D

I get no notifications at all in pidgin!

medeshago
March 1st, 2009, 07:57 PM
Yes lol I see it works but I am wondering *how* we get it to work!! :D

I get no notifications at all in pidgin!

Do you have pidgin-libnotify installed?

PRGUY85
March 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
One thing I've noticed with Pidgin is that I don't get message notifications all the time. I get them sporadically. Isn't it supposed to show notification for every new message?

MacSlow
March 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
One thing I've noticed with Pidgin is that I don't get message notifications all the time. I get them sporadically. Isn't it supposed to show notification for every new message?

No, only when the pidgin-chat window is unmapped (minimized) or not focused. But I don't know the exact policy for this, as I did not implement the corresponding plugin for pidgin.

Best regards ...

Mirco "MacSlow" Müller

Flywaver
March 1st, 2009, 10:52 PM
No, only when the pidgin-chat window is unmapped (minimized) or not focused. But I don't know the exact policy for this, as I did not implement the corresponding plugin for pidgin.

Best regards ...

Mirco "MacSlow" Müller

Hmmm...I just tried with pidgin minimized and unfocused and if I get a msg it only pops up the conversation window! :(

BobCFC
March 8th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Try this:

killall -15 notify-osd

Thank you!!!

Beautiful work Mirco, I have a slight issue using two monitors with nvidia Twinview.

My main monitor is a 1680x1050 widescreen on the left, it has the gnome-panel at the top and it configured to be the main monitor in nvidia-settings. I also have an old 1280x1024 monitor on the right which I don't really notice unless I turn to look at it.

As you can see from the screenshot the notifications treat the desktop as one big monitor and I hardly see them. Can you please make them appear on the main monitor?

Docky seems to know which monitor to use so I guess the setting has some effect.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1992/screenshotnbm.th.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1992/screenshotnbm.jpg)

Darkshade
March 8th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Thank you!!!

Beautiful work Mirco, I have a slight issue using two monitors with nvidia Twinview.

My main monitor is a 1680x1050 widescreen on the left, it has the gnome-panel at the top and it configured to be the main monitor in nvidia-settings. I also have an old 1280x1024 monitor on the right which I don't really notice unless I turn to look at it.

As you can see from the screenshot the notifications treat the desktop as one big monitor and I hardly see them. Can you please make them appear on the main monitor?

Docky seems to know which monitor to use so I guess the setting has some effect.

Same thing happens here. I have two monitors using twinview and my notifications appear on the right one. I'm not sure if twinview is the one to blame but a lot of applications (mainly games, both native and under wine) refuse to go to fullscreen mode on one monitor only and end placed on both which is really annoying. On the other hand if there was an option to configure the notification's position either using coords, dragging the window or just selecting on which monitor and which corner to appear would be really nice.

chrisccoulson
March 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Here's a screenshot of the volume notification on my system, using the icons from my preferred icon theme.

Flywaver
March 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Here's a screenshot of the volume notification on my system, using the icons from my preferred icon theme.

wow what theme are you using?? I love it!!!

gjoellee
March 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I use the same theme: Dust. Download it here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/DustTheme

feisty
March 8th, 2009, 07:22 PM

dust i think

taavikko
March 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I use the same theme: Dust. Download it here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/DustTheme

Or install community-themes via, "# apt-get install community-themes"

BobCFC
March 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
Thank you!!!

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1992/screenshotnbm.th.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1992/screenshotnbm.jpg)

As a temporary work-around I switched the virtual layout of my monitors, even though they are still physically the other way around

It sends you mad when you drag a window from one to the other because left becomes right, like in a mirror, but it means that I now get notifications on my (physical) left monitor so I notice them.

---

As a side note, I just noticed how beautiful the volume control is when you press up up up and hit maximum volume! It glows like a bright supanova and melts my heart, well done. :KS

scaine
March 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
And the fade at the lowest volume is really very purty too...

Still no brightness notifications here though. I haven't seen those for weeks now.

andrek
March 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Now it does show that firefox has finished downloading a file! It does so on firefox 3.6 alpha 1.

http://g.imagehost.org/t/0040/notification.jpg (http://g.imagehost.org/view/0040/notification)

However, its icon should be made in higher resolution, I guess.

olskar
March 22nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
Now it does show that firefox has finished downloading a file! It does so on firefox 3.6 alpha 1.

http://g.imagehost.org/t/0040/notification.jpg (http://g.imagehost.org/view/0040/notification)

However, its icon should be made in higher resolution, I guess.

That is very nice!

shadeslayer
April 17th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hi,i have this single bar theme in notify osd whereas everywhere i see these multiple bars,how do i get the latter?

ugashia
April 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I cant change the settings. I looked Everywhere i have been told to look, all i want to do is stop it appearing behind my conky app.

Flywaver
April 20th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Unfortunately, Docky puts new notifications but at the bottom middle of the screen, instead of the regular ones on the top right! :(

lee.jarratt
April 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Never knew we get notifications for importing PPA Keys.. nice surprise ^_^

http://localhostr.com/files/b3011b/Screenshot.png

Flywaver
April 21st, 2009, 09:56 PM
My bad!!! I had to disactivate Docky's Notifications, all's back to normal now! :D

hotweiss
April 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
Its a bit cranky on my system. There's an option to set the corner in which you want your notifications to appear.

I specifically set it to appear at bottom right corner. But for some reason the notifications are always appearing in 'top right ' corner. Here are two screenshots: One where I asked for a preview after setting the location, and the other one which notified a track change in Rhythmbox.

I don't have this option. Did you have to install something?

lee.jarratt
April 21st, 2009, 11:08 PM
I don't have this option. Did you have to install something?

That option was added in the first or second alpha, then soon after notify-osd got introduced, that option got removed as it was for the old notification system anyway. Maybe the guy you're quoting is using an early alpha build, or he posted that a long time ago? ^_^