PDA

View Full Version : Hey all! Messing with Jaunty for the fun of it, FGLRX issues

pyrokenx
February 19th, 2009, 02:32 AM
just wanted to check in with anyone playing around with jaunty, has anyone gotten fglrx to work correctly on it on HD Radeons (e.g. 2xxx series and up?)..

Keep in mind I dont expect things to magically work for me given I am using pre-release software, just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck

Thanks alot!

DougieFresh4U
February 19th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Can't help but if it makes you feel better my upgrade failed on my AMD machine with ATI 3200, "fglrx issues" were very present during upgrade and fglrx worked excellent with Intrepid. No problems on my Intel machine. It's a known issue with Jaunty.

rbmorse
February 19th, 2009, 03:26 AM
FGLRX doesn't work with the pre-release version of Xserver (1.6) that comes with Jaunty. Yet. The same thing happened during Intrepid's development. At some point the appropriate accommodation will be made to get FGLRX working, but don't expect it until after either Jaunty or Xsever 1.6 have gone final.

Jaunty should load the radeon driver by default if it properly detects your card. The 1XXX HD Radeon cards should be fully functional. Owners of the 2XXX, 3XXX and 4XXX Radeons should get excellent 2D performance, but hardware accelerated video and 3D are still cooking.

jerrylamos
February 19th, 2009, 03:38 AM
From the Alpha 4 announcement:

A new XServer, version 1.6, is included in Alpha 4. The binary proprietary fglrx driver is not yet supported for this server and will exhibit various serious issues if run against it. Users of this driver are encouraged to wait or to switch to the open source -ati driver in the meantime. Launchpad Bug #308410

Not sure if this is relevant...

Jerry

bcat
February 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is Compiz supposed to work with the radeon driver? I thought so, but attempting to enable desktop effects gives an error. Does it not do the necessary video acceleration magic?

pyrokenx
February 20th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is Compiz supposed to work with the radeon driver? I thought so, but attempting to enable desktop effects gives an error. Does it not do the necessary video acceleration magic?

depends on the ati card.. if its newer than Radeon 9200 then you need fglrx

also there are various cards before the 9xxx series that only work with fglrx for some reason

ATI on Linux has always been to a slight degree a bag of hurt, however seems to improve slowly all the time now.. I hope the RadeonHD driver catches up to ATI's proprietary driver soon

sloggerkhan
February 20th, 2009, 04:00 AM
It's not as simple as last poster makes it out to be. With open ati driver I know most x series (x700, x800 gen) will work with compiz and have okay 3-D with open driver.

pyrokenx
February 20th, 2009, 04:01 AM
It's not as simple as last poster makes it out to be. With open ati driver I know most x series (x700, x800 gen) will work with compiz and have okay 3-D with open driver.

Ah thankyou, I must be running on outdated info :)

Yashiro
February 20th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Radeon 4850 here. It's not recognised at all by xorg and thus is stuck using the default vesa driver.

Fglrx, as mentioned above, does not work either.

yodermk
February 20th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Radeon 4850 here. It's not recognised at all by xorg and thus is stuck using the default vesa driver.

Fglrx, as mentioned above, does not work either.

Same here with an HD 3200. Every screen update, such as Firefox scrolling a page, is *painful*.

I notice it did not load the drm and radeon kernel modules, but when I modprobed them and restarted X, nothing changed.

xorg.conf does not specify the radeon driver. Maybe I'll try adding it.

If I could fix this, I'd be pretty happy with Jaunty. :)

Kazade
February 20th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Same here with an HD 3200. Every screen update, such as Firefox scrolling a page, is *painful*.

I notice it did not load the drm and radeon kernel modules, but when I modprobed them and restarted X, nothing changed.

xorg.conf does not specify the radeon driver. Maybe I'll try adding it.

If I could fix this, I'd be pretty happy with Jaunty. :)

I have an HD3200, it's not supported by the xserver-xorg-ati driver with any kind of acceleration (2D or otherwise) which is why it is slow. However, the r6xx-r7xx branch of the radeonhd driver does have experimental 2D acceleration support for your card. If you fancy a challenge, head over to #radeonhd on Freenode and ask for some help. There is a bash script lying around which will checkout and install the latest drivers from the repository.

In the end I went back to Intrepid on that machine, at the time (about 3 weeks ago) acceleration worked but there was loads of corruption, however I think they have fixed that now.

pyrokenx
February 24th, 2009, 04:56 AM
so I just downloaded catalyst 9.2, I wanted to let everyone know that I still get the exact same issue. Anyone else have better results? let me know.