PDA

View Full Version : adobe reader in jaunty 64bit

lonniehenry
February 18th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I have enabled Medibuntu repos and installed acroread, plugins, etc. The reader opens and freezes. If I try opening a multipage pdf, it will load first page and grey out. I think that I am up to date. I have used acroread in intrepid 64bit in the past but am puzzled about getting it to work in jaunty.
I would appreciate any help.

Running acroread from terminal gives the following: Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libcanberra-gtk-module.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
Killed

I don't know what to do about it.

praxis22
February 19th, 2009, 02:22 AM
use evince :)

BwackNinja
February 19th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Note how its loading it (or trying to) from /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/ this would be getting the 64-bit version, while you'd want the 32-bit version because adobe reader is only 32-bit. I'd say that this is probably missing a dependency on a 32-bit libcanberra if it needs it, or something needs to be changed in how the program is trying to load itself to prevent trying to load 32-bit modules. Move the file temporarily (just rename to libcanberra-gtk-module.so.bak, I'd say not a good idea to keep it away, its for notification sounds, etc and it missing would make some other things complain) and then try opening adobe reader. If that works, then libcanberra is the only problem there, and file a bug report if there isn't one already.

lonniehenry
February 19th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I do use evince, however there are some forms that allow filling in the blanks and saving, printing the form such as tax forms and business forms and adobe reader allows this. Acroread simplifies this for me as I can then email back the filled in forms.

rebegin
March 8th, 2009, 03:21 PM
use evince :)

i do usually. but is there any way to set the background to something darker? as i would like to read a book but with white background my eyes are not happy...
i have the same problem as the topic opener :(

lonniehenry
March 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I have gone through numerous updates to Jaunty and the original problem continues. I have no idea on how to change background of document in evince.

michael37
March 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Acroread doesn't work for me on jaunty 64-bit.

The Acrobat Reader window appears, the document renders, and then the whole window locks up.

Force quit aka Kill -9 is the only way to proceed.

Any ideas?

lamborghiniwang
March 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM
same problem here.

Sockerdrickan
March 14th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Adobe®+x86_64=:lol:

michael37
March 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Adobe®+x86_64=:lol:

Actually, seems to be Jaunty issue. Used to work for me in Hardy.

lcohen999
March 14th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Add me to the Adobe Reader doesn't work list

it just hangs...

zenarcher
March 14th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Add me, as well...

Cheers,
zenarcher

jp_coll2003
March 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Actually, seems to be Jaunty issue. Used to work for me in Hardy.

Same here. Only loaded the first page up and then froze. Had to go to Evince.

lonniehenry
March 16th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Still not working. I did the suggestion for temporarely removing libcanberra and it did not work. Worked under Intrepid.

BwackNinja
March 16th, 2009, 03:02 AM
any new terminal output with temporarily removing libcanberra?

lonniehenry
March 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

so it must need a canberra-gtk-module - just a 32 bit one.

rebegin
March 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

so it must need a canberra-gtk-module - just a 32 bit one.

i tried to install the 32 bit version of libcanberra-gtk-module but acroread still hangs after starting it.
i installed it with this command:

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture libcanberra-gtk-module_0.11-1ubuntu2_i386.deb

any suggestion?

Timon&Pumba
March 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have had the same problem as well. I need Acrobat, because Evince cannot handle transparency very well (gradients and stuff).

But a workaround that works for me is:

acroread --sync your.pdf

Good luck!

rebegin
March 16th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I have had the same problem as well. I need Acrobat, because Evince cannot handle transparency very well (gradients and stuff).

But a workaround that works for me is:

acroread --sync your.pdf

Good luck!

Thanks! works great.

lonniehenry
March 20th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Acroread now works. I am not sure which of the many updates did it. I suspect that it may have happened with the ia32-libs updates yesterday and today. Whatever did it, i am happy to be able to use it.

lcohen999
March 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Acroread now works. I am not sure which of the many updates did it. I suspect that it may have happened with the ia32-libs updates yesterday and today. Whatever did it, i am happy to be able to use it.

speak for yourself :)