PDA

View Full Version : Interactive Wallpaper??

MasterNetra
February 18th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Any idea if its possible to produce interactive wallpaper?? I notice that xml files can be placed into backgrounds...and I'm using a wallpaper thing that switches wallpaper based on time of day... But i want to know if there is a way to get like say a flash interface running on it? Through like maybe using xml?

smartboyathome
February 18th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Sure it's possible. Just create a program, perhaps based off of a web engine (like gecko or webkit), and use that as the background instead of current. Only problem would be desktop icons, as you'd have to come up with a way of showing them.

binbash
February 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I don't suggest it after seeing adobe's flash player performance on linux

MasterNetra
February 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I don't suggest it after seeing adobe's flash player performance on linux

I've had no real issues with it O.o

Sure it's possible. Just create a program, perhaps based off of a web engine (like gecko or webkit), and use that as the background instead of current. Only problem would be desktop icons, as you'd have to come up with a way of showing them.

Well the desktop is a directory so i suppose it could be linked to...

This could possibly be used to setup a new more flashy desktop enviroment? Granted it wouldn't be for everyone but then again sense when is there something specific for everyone anyway?

smartboyathome
February 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
This could possibly be used to setup a new more flashy desktop enviroment? Granted it wouldn't be for everyone but then again sense when is there something specific for everyone anyway?

Yep, this could be used to set up a flashier desktop environment, but it would only be able to do desktop drawing, since it is essentially a window itself (not a window manager), so you'd have to have another window manager to handle that stuff, and herhaps a panel (or the desktop could handle that, but it would be under everything else then). The one solution to the panel would be to open another window using the same program that the desktop was drawn with, and have that run a panel instead. Only problem is getting a list of what windows etc were open in X.

unoodles
February 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM
possibly something like this?:
http://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/demos/photos.svg

Its pretty graphics and cpu intensive though.

smartboyathome
February 19th, 2009, 03:24 AM
possibly something like this?:
http://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/demos/photos.svg

Its pretty graphics and cpu intensive though.

Yep, that could be run through what I explained above. :popcorn:

jpon
February 19th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Thats a smart idea....It would be nice if someone could make the icons a part of the interactive background.

soxs
February 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM
This isn't usefull with default background, you're all talking about redefining wallpaper and esktop itself.

MasterNetra
February 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM
This isn't usefull with default background, you're all talking about redefining wallpaper and esktop itself.

And perhaps we should! Take the desktop to the next level! Change the way we interact with things, make Microsoft look like they're the ones behind. :p

soxs
February 20th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I will create some brainstorm concept art within the next few days..

MasterNetra
February 21st, 2009, 02:31 AM
I will create some brainstorm concept art within the next few days..

Great! I will secured the Russian launch codes...wait what are we talking about again? :P

soxs
February 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM
No matter, what we were talking, the matter is what WE ARE tlaking about. ;-)
[And I somewhat like the idea of redfining Desktop.. ]

akvilio
May 15th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Hi,
Sorry if i'm interfering but I think the idea is good and i would suggest to somehow make the icons (maybe not all of them but at least the common ones,
like home folder or computer) part of the background wallpaper for example lets say you have a wallpaper of the solar system. the planets could be the hidden icons... or something like that...

MasterNetra
May 22nd, 2010, 05:30 AM
lol I actually forgot about this. Still be nice to see wallpapers go interactive and refining the desktop itself.

lykwydchykyn
May 22nd, 2010, 05:36 AM
You realize this is already possible in KDE, right?

MasterNetra
May 23rd, 2010, 02:04 AM
You realize this is already possible in KDE, right?

Explain. I'm a Gnome user.

lykwydchykyn
May 23rd, 2010, 06:18 AM
Explain. I'm a Gnome user.

In KDE, plasma draws the wallpaper, rather than the window manager or file manager. This means that wallpapers are just plasma widgets. So in KDE, you can create new "wallpaper plugins" that generate wallpaper. Can be as simple as just putting an image or pattern on the screen, or as complicated as animations or interactive things.

There aren't many written at the moment. Kubuntu's KDE4 ships with an interactive globe wallpaper (a bit like having google earth for wallpaper), a fractal viewer ( a bit Mandelbrot fractal you can zoom in on), one that changes wallpaper according to the weather forecast, and a few other simple things.

There've been a few others bouncing around on KDE-look.org, but there's definitely a good bit of unexplored potential there.

MasterNetra
May 24th, 2010, 02:14 AM
In KDE, plasma draws the wallpaper, rather than the window manager or file manager. This means that wallpapers are just plasma widgets. So in KDE, you can create new "wallpaper plugins" that generate wallpaper. Can be as simple as just putting an image or pattern on the screen, or as complicated as animations or interactive things.

There aren't many written at the moment. Kubuntu's KDE4 ships with an interactive globe wallpaper (a bit like having google earth for wallpaper), a fractal viewer ( a bit Mandelbrot fractal you can zoom in on), one that changes wallpaper according to the weather forecast, and a few other simple things.

There've been a few others bouncing around on KDE-look.org, but there's definitely a good bit of unexplored potential there.

interesting

PatHIverson
May 24th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Awesome concept. I was thinking something that contains a calender so your family could share appointments, events, bill that are do...

Any idea if its possible to produce interactive wallpaper?? I notice that xml files can be placed into backgrounds...and I'm using a wallpaper thing that switches wallpaper based on time of day... But i want to know if there is a way to get like say a flash interface running on it? Through like maybe using xml?