PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] un-installing xubuntu

tamedcynic
February 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I have been using xubuntu on about 40 old iMacs (navy blue) and it's working well. However, the district has now given us a new stripped-down version of OS X and they would like me to try running it on a few computers. I'd like to test it on one of the computers that's currently running xubuntu. Does anyone know how I can un-install xubuntu and get the Apple Firmware to work so that I can load the stripped-down OS X?

mkvnmtr
February 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
You should be able to just put the disk in and install the mac os. Kubuntu would not have changed the firmware.

tamedcynic
February 17th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Is it possible that I screwed it up when I partitioned the hard drive?

mkvnmtr
February 17th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Gparted doesn't or at least should not touch the mac boot partition. So it is unlikely you have done something to cause a problem. The mac disk should boot just like a live Ubuntu disk. Put it in and restart. Hold down the C key and it should boot off the disk. Then it should be just a matter of installing. They are the right disks for your machines? Just any old Mac install disk will not install on any machine.

tamedcynic
February 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM
That's what I tried, so I'm not sure what's wrong. It could be the wrong disk. I wouldn't put it past my district to get this wrong. Like I mentioned, I'm really happy using xubuntu but the tech guys at the District Office are really pushing the stripped down OS X. Thanks for your replies.

mkvnmtr
February 18th, 2009, 12:38 AM
You think they bought those disks? Are they marked like mac disks? The only stripped down mac os disks I have seen I pirated.

tamedcynic
February 18th, 2009, 10:45 PM
They are regular Apple Disks and the district pays according to a site license.

cyberdork33
February 18th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Do the disks boot at all?

If so, then you need to boot from the install disc, and start Disk Utility and use it to reformat the hard drive. You should then be able to install normally.

thecog
February 20th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I have an ibook g4. I would like to dual boot but I think I need to have os x installed first. ubuntu won't recognize the installation cd. Doesn't ubuntu have an format hard drive fundction that will wipe the drive thus inabling me to do a fresh installation of panther?

mkvnmtr
February 20th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Thecog you probably need to start a thread of your own to get good answers to your questions. Use a good title that relates to your problem and give a good bit of information about what you are trying to do.