PDA

View Full Version : No sound in firefox aka YouTube

techdude3177
February 16th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I upgraded pulse audio today and i am no longer getting audio through firefox even if i run the killall pulseaudio command.
bummer

but still getting audio through the mp3 player

Vardaan Aggarwal
February 16th, 2009, 03:53 AM
may be there is a problem on your music system .

techdude3177
February 16th, 2009, 04:01 AM
when i was running 8.10 when it was in beta i was missing a package for flash audio but i forget what that package was.
but that doesnt seem to be the issue

techdude3177
February 16th, 2009, 07:18 AM
:lolflag: got it! upgraded to Flash 10, doesnt like Flash 9 for whatever reason.

Sspankyy
February 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I've got the same problem... It started today... I've got Flash 10, so I'm not sure if I should Downgrade to 9 or what....

Well, Any suggestions?

Scott

techdude3177
February 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM
try uninstalling flash and then get the new one from here http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Sspankyy
February 16th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I Uninstalled Flash, then I downloaded it from the link, reinstalled it, tried Youtube... Nothing, ubuntu then prompted me to update my flash to a newer version, so I did, still nothing...

Also, just so you don't ask, Yes, my volume is up....

Scott

techdude3177
February 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
:confused:

Sspankyy
February 18th, 2009, 07:31 PM
OK, so for no good reason, it just started working again.

This is not the first time this kind of thing has happened, and each time it happens I really wonder if my friends who think Linux is full of pixies and gremlins fighting over my computer are right...

Just a thought, haven't had enough coffee yet... so my thoughts are not good yet..

Scott

Committed
February 18th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Same problem here and it's getting downright discouraging. Sound sometimes in all apps, sometimes only system sounds, sometimes sound just quits but comes back with reboot. Was just watching a youtube video and sound just cut out half way through. Arrgghh!!!!

If I can't solve this once and for all, I will be forced to go back to windoze.

taavikko
February 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Same problem here and it's getting downright
If I can't solve this once and for all, I will be forced to go back to windoze.

Yep... just use operating system running alpha-status...

darkerlink
February 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
use alsa mixer. Go to System>Preferences>Sounds and select your sound card(if you have 2) and make sure it has "Alsa" on it somewhere. Then uninstall pulseaudio with

sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio

That should work since I had the exact same problem!

ugkbunb
February 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM
I had this same problem... all though it is not the recommend way to run pulseaudio it fixed all my issues with no sound on startup. If you are on a single user linux box then imho there is only benefits from running it at the system-wide level

/etc/pulse/daemon.conf
daemonize=yes
system-instance = yes

/etc/default/pulseaudio
PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=1

I also changed the following in daemon.conf - I believe this fixed my issues with scratchyness

resample-method = src-sinc-best-quality (i set it to the highest,,, change it to what you want it)
high-priority = yes
nice-level = -11
default-fragments = 5
default-fragment-size-msec = 25

Also I set the following to the best (also highest cpu)...
resample-method = src-sinc-best-quality

from best to worst the options are:
src-sinc-best-quality, src-sinc-medium-quality, src-sinc-fastest, speex-float-{10-0}, speex-fixed-{10-0}, ffmpeg, src-zero-order-hold, src-linear, trivial