PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] replace sky2 with sk98lin permanently

GreTTin
February 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM
hey all,

I've been using ubuntu for quite a while now but I'm not an advanced user, I was hoping someone can help me with a little problem I'm having.

I rebuilt my computer with a new motherboard and my internet kept dropping out and after a while I figured out it was because of the sky2 driver. I have the Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe mother board wich has a marvell/yukon ethernet port (something like that) I replaced the sky2 driver with sk98lin one by following these commands after downloading their driver from the marvell website.

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r) /usr/src/linux

sudo modprobe -r sky2

sudo ./install.sh

I had to change the beginning of the install file to bin/bash (from bin/sh) apart from that it worked fine.

my problem is every time i restart my computer it goes back to sky2.

How do I get rid of this for good? I thought thats what the 3rd command did.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Paul.

kevdog
February 15th, 2009, 06:41 PM
For one, I would add sky2 to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file so that it is not automatically loaded on boot!

GreTTin
February 15th, 2009, 08:37 PM
hey, Thanks for the quick reply.

I added

# replaced sky2 with sk98lin
blacklist sky2

to that file at the end but it still loads up sky2 until I run the install again.

Also of note is
sudo modprobe -r sky2 doesn't work any more it says it doesn't exist but
sudo rmmod sky2 gets rid of it.

any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your help

Paul

GreTTin
February 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
bump?

GreTTin
March 4th, 2009, 09:11 PM
nobody? well I have no internet at the moment on that computer as sky2 is no longer there (not too sure how i did that) and i can't install the other one now as when the process gets to compiling the kernel it errors out, it says to go to a file, think its /etc/linux, can't remember off the top of my head and then run makefile when i do that it says i need a dependancy which i can't get as i have no internet.

So anyway i'm going to reinstall can anyone recomend a distro that supports marvell yukon ethernet controller out the box?

I think they're standard on most asus motherboards(?)

thank you in advance.

foresto
October 23rd, 2011, 05:28 AM
FYI, I just finished packaging the latest sk98lin driver (from August 2011) for Ubuntu Natty. You can find my announcement post here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11382042#post11382042