PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Enable Drivers, messed up first attempt.

jono2009
February 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 on a friends Laptop as well as my own PC and I only realized yesterday that his Drivers were not correctly installed. This was due to the fact he was unable to hear any sound from his external speakers.

I opened System/Administration/Hardware Drivers and on find nothing installed( keep in mind I attempted to install them 3days before and unknowingly failed), the Hardware Drivers page blank and "Enable button" non-functional. Is it possible to start process again.

Thank you for any help from two noobs.
:popcorn:

geirha
February 14th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Check all the volume controls, might be one of the needed ones are just muted or set all the way down.

Also see if you find the laptop model at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Laptops and see if mentions any issues with the audio on that model (if it is listed)

jono2009
February 14th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Check all the volume controls, might be one of the needed ones are just muted or set all the way down.

Also see if you find the laptop model at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Laptops and see if mentions any issues with the audio on that model (if it is listed)

geirha thanks for helping,

I have checked the volume control/preferences, everything ok. My mate has dual both and M/Soft sound ok.

The problem I have, is I need to reinstall the Hardware Drivers again. Currently the Hardware Drives page is blank and "Enable button" non-functional, I need to be able to reactivate Hardware Drivers all other again.:(

geirha
February 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM
What audio controller does it have?

sudo lshw -class multimedia

Are you able to select the audio controller in System -> Preferences -> Sound?

Only way to get the option to install any proprietary drivers back, is to uninstall it. I doubt that will have any effect, but if you still want to try, you'll need to figure out what the package with that driver is called. A google search on the output of lshw or lspci's listing of the audio controller may help on that.

jono2009
February 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
What audio controller does it have?

sudo lshw -class multimedia

Are you able to select the audio controller in System -> Preferences -> Sound?

Only way to get the option to install any proprietary drivers back, is to uninstall it. I doubt that will have any effect, but if you still want to try, you'll need to figure out what the package with that driver is called. A google search on the output of lshw or lspci's listing of the audio controller may help on that.

I'm seeing my mate Gordon in a few days time and I'll try all of you have suggested. Will post as soon as possible with the results.

Till then, Cheers.