PDA

View Full Version : [other] Need Laptop - Considering a Macbook

Zenze
February 14th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Hey,

So I am considering getting a new laptop and was thinking about giving OS X a try. I have a friend who has a Macbook and loves it, which has somewhat sparked my curiosity. I really don't have any experience with OS X but I went to an apple store the other day and gave it a try. From the little time I spent on it I liked the overall look and feel a lot.

However, the main thing that I am worried about is how flexible/customizable the os is. I have heard that apple is generally very restricting as far as what they allow you to do/change. For anyone who has experience using OS X, to what degree is this true? And is it any more or less restricting than compared to windows?

Thanks.

perpetualcacophany
February 14th, 2009, 01:51 AM
As long as you are willing to pay the price of Apple hardware, I would say that the Macbook is a great laptop. I enjoy OS X quite a bit actually. In terms of customization though, OS X doesn't have nearly the resources that Ubuntu has. Now, that's not to say that there aren't any theme application programs or anything. There is just not a large theme/mod community for OS X. Personally, I was very happy with the way everything looks, so I didn't feel a desire to change anything.

Overall, I have been very happy with my Macbook. OS X is simple and fun to use, and Ubuntu works very well without many problems.

spencercarran
February 15th, 2009, 02:46 AM
OS X really can't be modified very easily. There are ways of doing it, but that requires digging into Darwin which is not well-documented or broadly supported. Pretty much, you're sticking with the defaults unless you're going to be a UNIX hacker. You can change the desktop background, you can move the dock to the side and make it auto-hide or not, but aside from that type of thing you can't customize the settings.

Personally I much prefer the GNOME interface over OS X, but to each his own. OS X at least is extremely stable, fairly good performance, virus-free for all intents and purposes, and very easy to use.

joey-elijah
February 16th, 2009, 07:43 AM
OS X is great if you like a simple to use, always working OS. (i.e most people). It pretty comes with everything you need (iLife, Mail, iTunes,) and there's very little else you'll likely need to install outside of Firefox/Camino, iWorks/OpenOffice and maybe photoshop.

You can't theme it too well or drastically alter it. You can't 'mess it up' like you can Windows or Linux by accidently moving a file or changing a prefix.

Applications install via drag and drop - so no click-click-uncheckspywarez-click etc.

I use OS X and Ubuntu primarily, but Vista/Windows 7 as well. I like OS X because it just works - i don't have to do sweet FA to it.

but i prefer Ubuntu because it just.. well... it's an OS that feels an extension of me. Maybe, bizarely, because sometimes you need to put effort in to get certain things working..

I guess it's like:-

Windows is like authority; "the way things are done".

OS X is like a mate you've known for a long time - you feel at ease, you know how it goes

but Ubuntu is you.

AlexyGalaxy
February 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I got a MacBook last May and had trouble installing Ubuntu on there. This gave me a lot more time with getting used to Mac OS X. It has hardly any built-in customization features in comparison to Ubuntu, but to be fair, I don't really need to change it. OS X works for me, without any heavy customization.

Alex

Zenze
February 16th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Yea I guess that is pretty much what I expected, but I like its look anyway so its not a really big deal either way.

One of the only other concerns that I really have is about the terminal. Does it operate simularly to a linux terminal? I wouldnt say that I have extreme knowledge of the terminal but I can do a decent amount and if possible would like to use it a little if I get a macbook. Does it share many of the same commands/can you do many of the same things?

damis648
February 16th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Yea I guess that is pretty much what I expected, but I like its look anyway so its not a really big deal either way.

One of the only other concerns that I really have is about the terminal. Does it operate simularly to a linux terminal? I wouldnt say that I have extreme knowledge of the terminal but I can do a decent amount and if possible would like to use it a little if I get a macbook. Does it share many of the same commands/can you do many of the same things?

Yes, and in fact OS X uses the exact same shell as Ubuntu (BASH) so pretty much any terminal work you do in Ubuntu can also be done exactly the same way in Mac OS X. (However a few things people might find different, like nano in Linux is pico in OS X and other random stuff). :popcorn:

Zenze
February 16th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Yes, and in fact OS X uses the exact same shell as Ubuntu (BASH) so pretty much any terminal work you do in Ubuntu can also be done exactly the same way in Mac OS X. (However a few things people might find different, like nano in Linux is pico in OS X and other random stuff). :popcorn:

Awesome, that perfect. I figured that some apps like that would be different. However, do you know if osx has vi/gcc on it, or if it is available?

cyberdork33
February 17th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Yes, and in fact OS X uses the exact same shell as Ubuntu (BASH) so pretty much any terminal work you do in Ubuntu can also be done exactly the same way in Mac OS X. (However a few things people might find different, like nano in Linux is pico in OS X and other random stuff). :popcorn:I actually think Ubuntu uses dash, not bash, but it is very similar.

Also, GNU nano is in OSX.

Awesome, that perfect. I figured that some apps like that would be different. However, do you know if osx has vi/gcc on it, or if it is available?
On my up-to-date Leopard system. it has VIM 7.2.22.

gcc is available from Apple as part of the XCode developer tools.

Many of the basic GNU tools that are in all base Linux systems are in OSX. some things are a bit different, but there are also many similarities. The UNIX framework that OSX is built on and the similarity to Linux is one of the biggest reasons I use OSX myself.

Additionally, there are several open source applications, libraries, etc available through MacPorts (http://www.macports.org/).

damis648
February 17th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I actually think Ubuntu uses dash, not bash, but it is very similar.

Also, GNU nano is in OSX.

Actually, Ubuntu does use bash as the default shell, but dash is used as sh (/bin/sh).

damian@damian-laptop:~$ echo $SHELL
/bin/bash

Zenze
February 17th, 2009, 02:18 AM
gcc is available from Apple as part of the XCode developer tools.

Many of the basic GNU tools that are in all base Linux systems are in OSX. some things are a bit different, but there are also many differences. The UNIX framework that OSX is built on and the similarity to Linux is one of the biggest reasons I use OSX myself.

Awesome, thanks. Macbook seems like the way to go.

cyberdork33
February 17th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Actually, Ubuntu does use bash as the default shell, but dash is used as sh (/bin/sh).
ah yes, I misunderstood what dash was. I just learned that it existed at all not that long ago.

Zenze
February 17th, 2009, 05:33 AM
One more thing that just occurred to me... With the new macbooks you can use the bottom corner of you touchpad to right click. Can you set ubuntu to do this when its on a mac (I would be very surprised if you can)?

bandol
February 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Hi all I'm new here so I don't want to charge in, but one word of caution - firewire! Do you want / need this? cos MacBooks (apart from the white polycarbonate model) don't have it any more. MacBook Pros do.

damis648
February 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM
One more thing that just occurred to me... With the new macbooks you can use the bottom corner of you touchpad to right click. Can you set ubuntu to do this when its on a mac (I would be very surprised if you can)?

While that is true, they also have it set up so that pressing two fingers right-clicks :-). I think that's pretty cool, and you can set up Ubuntu to do that too, as well as the corner thing :-).

Zenze
February 17th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hi all I'm new here so I don't want to charge in, but one word of caution - firewire! Do you want / need this? cos MacBooks (apart from the white polycarbonate model) don't have it any more. MacBook Pros do.

No, I don't have any devices that use firewire so I don't have any use for it anyway. But thanks for the heads up :P

Zenze
February 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM
While that is true, they also have it set up so that pressing two fingers right-clicks :-). I think that's pretty cool, and you can set up Ubuntu to do that too, as well as the corner thing :-).

Nice! Thats pretty awesome, I become more impressed with Ubuntu everyday.:guitar: