PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I'm getting this error message

cheese123
February 14th, 2009, 01:04 AM
I was trying to uninstall some games, but I get this message.

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I tried entering 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' into the terminal but I get this

dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000' near line 1:
newline in field name `ists.ubuntu.com>'

help?

drs305
February 14th, 2009, 01:11 AM
See if you can correct the file with a text editor:

gksudo gedit /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000

My guess is the word is supposed to be dists

I'd try that but since it's on line 1 there may be other errors further down. If it doesn't work rename the file to something else and run your command again.

cheese123
February 14th, 2009, 01:19 AM
See if you can correct the file with a text editor:

gksudo /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000

My guess is the word is supposed to be dists

I'd try that but since it's on line 1 there may be other errors further down. If it doesn't work rename the file to something else and run your command again.

Could you give me steps on how to do this? Sorry I'm still pretty new.

RomeReactor
February 14th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Hi. Try running:

sudo aptitude install -f
And post back if you get any errors.

EDIT: Too slow; try drs305's suggestion first. From a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal):

gksudo gedit /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000

cheese123
February 14th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Ok well I changed it to dist, but I still get this message after trying to run dpkg again.

newline in field name `dists.ubuntu.com>'

ALIENDUDE5300
February 14th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Im getting almost the EXACT same message that you are... I posted a thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1069198 with additional details. If you find a solution, could someone let me know how to fix this? I've been trying to figure this out for almost an 2 hours...

RomeReactor
February 14th, 2009, 01:43 AM
A similar problem is discussed here (https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+question/56796).

You can try removing the offending file:

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000
Then update the repository information:

sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade

drs305
February 14th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Ok well I changed it to dist, but I still get this message after trying to run dpkg again.

newline in field name `dists.ubuntu.com>'

You could post the line, I'd guess it should look something like <something-here...dists.ubuntu.com> but personally I'd just rename it and try running update again.

cheese123
February 14th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Now it's giving me this

dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0001' near line 1:
field name `.4),' must be followed by colon

:confused:

drs305
February 14th, 2009, 01:57 AM
So how many files do you have in /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ and were they all created at generally the same time? If you have a lot all created at the approximately the same time I'd just use "gksudo nautilus /var/lib/dpkg/", navigate to the updates folder and (at least temporarily) rename it. Note: I do not even have an updates folder. You can see if that is your only problem and then restore the name if you believe you need the contents of that particular folder.

ALIENDUDE5300
February 14th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Removing the file mentioned and then re-running sudo dpkg --configure -a worked for me. To do this, type

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000;sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0001;dpkg --configure -a
into the terminal.

jeremyll33
February 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hi there, I am returning to Linux after a few yaesra away, thanks to wonderful Ubuntu.

If it helps, I was experiencing this problem but naving to the "Updates" folder mentioned above then cutting and pasting the files there into another folder empties that folder. You can then run Synaptic again.

p8baller07
April 10th, 2009, 11:24 PM
just incase doing sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0000

doesnt work for everyone try this instead.

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/* && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

if you want to just fix the issue and not update. do this

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/updates/*

drowner
April 11th, 2009, 12:13 AM
And, to the original poster, it is best if you specify the error message in your post title, or at least something more descriptive.

I know how to fix some error messages, but not this one, so I've opened this thread, posted this, and wasted everybody's time and bandwidth.

Not being picky, but asking good questions is very important.