PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to do I boot windows xp first?

mcyhon
February 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hi, i have 2 os running, window xp and Ubuntu 8.10. Everytime the boot up, i have like 4 types of ubuntu selection and one of them is the main one, and window XP is last.

How do I get window XP to be top of the list?

thanks

howefield
February 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Install startupmanager from synaptic would probably be the easiest way of doing this. You'll be able to set various settings like the default and timeout etc.

mcyhon
February 13th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Install startupmanager from synaptic would probably be the easiest way of doing this. You'll be able to set various settings like the default and timeout etc.

do i install this on Ubuntu or window xp?

thanks a lot

howefield
February 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Sorry, from Ubuntu.

Load up Synaptic Package Manager from the System > Administration menu and search for startupmanager, click and select "mark for installation" then apply.

You will find a new entry in your System > Administration menu called Start-Up Manager.

You can use this to edit the grub settings which is what is giving you the choice of system to boot into.

mcyhon
February 14th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Sorry, from Ubuntu.

Load up Synaptic Package Manager from the System > Administration menu and search for startupmanager, click and select "mark for installation" then apply.

You will find a new entry in your System > Administration menu called Start-Up Manager.

You can use this to edit the grub settings which is what is giving you the choice of system to boot into.

Thanks it works
it took me a little while though