PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to make 2nd user's /home folder private and vise versa?

MerlinsLair
February 13th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Hi,

I searched the forums but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for so I'm posting this in this forum to not only help me but others in my predicament. First off, I'm using Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop.

I created a 2nd /home account as a user only from my original one. I want them both to be private as in not able to read into one from another. How would I go about this? I'm needing to do this so if my grandkids want to 'play' on the computer I won't have to worry about what they do so much as I can always delete the account if need be. Thanks.

bodhi.zazen
February 13th, 2009, 10:43 PM
sudo chmod -R 770 ~user1
sudo chmod -R 770 ~user2

MerlinsLair
February 13th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Thanks bodhi.zazen. Is there any documentation I can go over concerning this so I can get more familiar with it?

lazyart
February 13th, 2009, 10:54 PM
I thought by default home folders were private....

bodhi.zazen
February 13th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks bodhi.zazen. Is there any documentation I can go over concerning this so I can get more familiar with it?

What kind of information are you looking for ?

http://www.zzee.com/solutions/linux-permissions.shtml

You can also look at apparmor.

No they are not private by default although you can now install with encryption, either the entire system or $HOME.

MerlinsLair
February 13th, 2009, 11:04 PM

I did too but evidently not thus my needing to protect what I have in my /home directory from the hooligan grandkids. :)

Thanks again bodhi.zazen. I just wanted to get familiar with this in case I need to make any further changes.

Shpongle
December 23rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
thanks, just what i was looking for