PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Help

sk7499
February 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I am trying to setup a dual boot XP and ubuntu. I have XP currently installed on the CPU i can load ubuntu fine i try to resize the partition i have a 160gb hardrive giving ubuntu 60gb but i get an error when i resize the partition an error has occured. Should be able to resize the partition im trying to install ubuntu 8 the new version from a cd.

overdrank
February 14th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Hi and welcome, moved to Absolute Beginner Talk

ugm6hr
February 14th, 2009, 01:38 AM
1. Backup important files first (resizing partitions can cause datat corruption).
2. Boot from Ubuntu LiveCD - select "Try without making any changes" option
3. In Ubuntu Menu: System -> Aministration -> Partition Editor
4. Select correct HD (if you have more than one)
5. Resize XP partition to 100GB (right-click on HD coloured box gives options)
6. Apply changes (make sure files are backed up!)
7. Double-click Install on desktop
8. Select "Guided - Install using largest free space" option.

Hopefully the rest should be pretty obvious.

Captain_tux
February 14th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Also, be sure to defrag and run chkdsk the drive at least once (perhaps twice!) before you begin the partitioning.

Good luck and welcome to Linux/Ubuntu!

sk7499
February 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM
It says an error occured while applying operations i cannot get to the install screen as it will not apply it does xp have a restriction that it does not allow a resize of the partition.

Kareeser
February 20th, 2009, 12:14 AM
No, but due to the fragmented nature of the NTFS file structure, bits and pieces of files are strewn all over your hard drive, including places you want to resize for your Ubuntu partition.

Did you run defrag on Windows before trying to install Ubuntu?

sk7499
February 20th, 2009, 12:27 AM
i defrag the drive and ran scan dish all is compacted this was a new xp install any way fresh xp new laptop no new programs not sure what the issue is there a restriction somewhere

sk7499
February 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM
ill keep you posted i think i might have it.

Peter09
February 20th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Make sure you shutdown XP completely, do not hibernate the O/S as it can leave the file system in an indeterminate mode.

sk7499
February 20th, 2009, 03:48 AM
ojk got it to work i neeed some more assistance i need to install wireshark on ubuntu how do i do this thanks for everyones help after running chkdsk 5 times and defraging the drive it took.

Ocxic
February 20th, 2009, 03:52 AM
in terminal "sudo apt-get install wireshark" or select in from synaptic System->admin->Synaptic package manager.

I also use etherape which is pretty cool, and may be of use aswell.

sk7499
February 26th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I tried the Sudo which should be a download howver i cannot get it to download. i get the following error cant find package wireshark.

MY IE connection is good.

ugm6hr
February 26th, 2009, 08:54 PM
The package is definitely in the standard "repository":
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=wireshark

If you are using Ubuntu 8.x with a working internet connection, it should work.

Copy and paste the exact output from the command here.

Also, the contents of :

cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Sidewinder1
February 26th, 2009, 10:10 PM
This site was invaluable to me when learning how to dual boot with XP and ubuntu:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning
As stated above, defrag is a must, even with a new install.
HTH
Side

Sidewinder1
February 26th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry, I missed post #10. Disregard the above. A thousand pardons. :-)

sk7499
March 2nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
When I download thies what do i do next i have ubuntu 8 new version how do i install it can you provide a step by step still trying to figure out linux. The package is definitely in the standard "repository":
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?su...ords=wireshark

ugm6hr
March 2nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
what do i do next

Respond with the details requested.

Try clicking here: wireshark (apt:wireshark)

sk7499
March 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM
The link provided wont work also when i do sude ect it states package not found is there a step by step tutorial on how to do this