PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bulk file renaming...

AndrewS
February 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hello

I have a lot of files that I want to rename, and I can't figure out how to do it with any of the simple tools available (Thunar, Krename, Metamorphose).

The files have a common format:

AA1234_xx_xx_x.jpg

The string before the first "_" is up to six characters long and there is a variable number of "_" before the period preceding the extension.

What I want is to get rid of everything from the first "_" to the period, i.e. the above file name would become:

AA1234.jpg

Thanks in advance

Andrew

kanikilu
February 13th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I'm by no means a regex expert, but I think this would work:

$ rename -v 's/(\w{6})[\w]+\.jpg$/$1\.jpg/' *

Note, this assumes several things:

1) You are in the directory that has the files that need to be renamed
2) The files you want to rename have exactly 6 characters that you want to keep in the final name.
3) The files all end in ".jpg" (not ".JPG" or anything else)

Lastly, you may substitute the "-n" option instead of "-v" to test it first. Once you know that it will work, then go back and run it with "-v".

AndrewS
February 14th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the reply - I'm sure that would work for files with six characters I want to keep, but the number is variable (3, 4, 5, or 6). I guess I could sort them manually then try that sort of thing.

Thanks again

Andrew

apostate
February 14th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Naw, you can use a FOR loop to go through and mass rename them. I wrote a script to do it on videos, but I lost it. Let me decompress fromthe IT world for a few and I will try to write you a script that will do it.

kaibob
February 14th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I suspect there's an easier way, but the following works regardless of the number of characters before the underscore.

#!/bin/bash
cd /directory/name
for FILE in *_*.jpg ; do
FILENAME="$(echo "$FILE" | cut -d _ -f1).jpg"
cp "$FILE" "$FILENAME"
done

AndrewS
February 14th, 2009, 02:48 AM
kaibob

That's brilliant, worked a treat (although it left me with the original file as well as the renamed one, but that's being really picky!).

The only question is, what did I actually do??? (I'm totally new to that sort of command-line work). If you have time, can you describe what happened?

Thanks again

Andrew

kaibob
February 14th, 2009, 03:53 AM
To actually rename the files, you can use the move command (mv) in the script rather than the copy command (cp). I used the latter to be safe until the script has been run a few times. Another alternative is to use the copy command and to direct the renamed files to a different directory.

The script uses a for loop to process the files and the cut command-line utility to extract the desired string from the existing file name.

The following contains a good discussion of for loops:

http://linuxcommand.org/wss0140.php

And, the following is a decent explanation of the cut utility:

http://lowfatlinux.com/linux-columns-cut.html

In this instance, the cut command extracts the first field (-f 1) from the file name with each field being defined by the underscore (-d _). The file names are piped to the cut command by the echo command and the output is assigned to the variable, FILENAME, by command substitution.

I'm new to shell scripting and my explanation is probably lacking, but the above links should help to explain things.

geirha
February 14th, 2009, 04:08 AM
I would've used rename with this regular expression, which says, remove all characters from the first '_' that is not a '.'.

rename -n 's/_[^.]*//' *.jpg

Note the -n means dry-run. It will just display what it intends to do, but not actually do it.

newbee70
February 14th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Hello

I have a lot of files that I want to rename, and I can't figure out how to do it with any of the simple tools available (Thunar, Krename, Metamorphose).

The files have a common format:

AA1234_xx_xx_x.jpg

The string before the first "_" is up to six characters long and there is a variable number of "_" before the period preceding the extension.

What I want is to get rid of everything from the first "_" to the period, i.e. the above file name would become:

AA1234.jpg

Thanks in advance

Andrew

You could try Purr! it is available in the repositories.

you can control it with a name and a unique numerical identifier.

kaibob
February 14th, 2009, 04:33 AM
I would've used rename with this regular expression, which says, remove all characters from the first '_' that is not a '.'.

rename -n 's/_[^.]*//' *.jpg...
Geirha. I knew there had to be an easier way--your solution is much better. Thanks!

AndrewS
February 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks all, I've got some reading to do!

Andrew

abhigyan91
June 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM
kaibob

That's brilliant, worked a treat (although it left me with the original file as well as the renamed one, but that's being really picky!).

Andrew

if you dont want the original files then u can change "cp" in the secondlast line to "mv"

#!/bin/bash
cd /directory/name
for FILE in *_*.jpg ; do
FILENAME="$(echo "$FILE" | cut -d _ -f1).jpg"
mv "$FILE" "$FILENAME"
done

stewiefet
July 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
So how would you change that bash script to move the fields in the filename around instead of just cutting them?

I have a bunch of txt files in the general format

Firstname Maybe Middlename Lastname - other info - possible other info.txt

I'd like to move the lastname to the front of the filename.. but I'm not clear on how cut and paste work together in the command line.

Stew

Mornedhel
July 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Just to make sure, your filenames look like this :

<single word> <possibly single word> <single word> - <maybe something> - <maybe something> - info.txt ?

If the first, middle and last names are always single words, then you could do

rename -n 's/^(\w+) (\w+)? (\w+)/$3 $2 $1/' *.txt

Check that everything seems fine, then run the command again without the -n so it actually renames the files. I have tested it on a file called "foo bar tiger.txt", but you never know. I'm particularly concerned about accents.

Tweak "*.txt" if all the .txt files in the directory are not to be renamed, possibly replacing it with "*info.txt".

If the names aren't always single words, you're in trouble unless you have a dictionary of common names for your language somewhere.

geirha
July 11th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Since we don't know how many names there will be before the last name, the first ' - ' would be the logical anchor point to build the regex around. So first off, lets match everything we don't care about. ' - .*' should take care of that, since * is gready and will match as much as possible, so
rename -n 's/ - .*//' *.txt should show that the first - and everything behind it will be removed.

Now let's match the last word before the -. The special character class \s will match whitespace, while \S will match the complement (everything but whitespace), so '\S+ - .*'. We want to remember that word, so put it in parenthesis. '(\S+) - .*'

Lastly, we need to match the one or more names from the start of the line (^) up to the last name, but .* just won't do it, because * is greedy, and the first greedy match will take precedence over the ending .*, so we have to make sure that we don't go past the first - . [^-] means any character except -, so if we match the largest sequence of [^-], that should hopefully cover it. '^([^-]*) (\S+) - (.*)'. Now we have three groups we can move around.

$ rename -n 's/^([^-]*) (\S+) - (.*)/$2, $1 - $3/' *.txt
Firstname Maybe Middlename Lastname - other info - possible other info.txt renamed as Lastname, Firstname Maybe Middlename - other info - possible other info.txt

If any of the first names has a dash (-) in them, though, the [^-]* would stop at that position, making the regex possibly not match at all. Let me know if that is the case and we can change it further. (Or if it's just one or two files, you could just rename them manually)

stewiefet
July 11th, 2009, 03:44 AM
geirha, this one got it. Very nice and neat. There are a handful of hyphenated names but only a handful so easy enough to deal with those manually. Thanks!

$ rename -n 's/^([^-]*) (\S+) - (.*)/$2, $1 - $3/' *.txt
Firstname Maybe Middlename Lastname - other info - possible other info.txt renamed as Lastname, Firstname Maybe Middlename - other info - possible other info.txt