PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Ubuntu crashes, messes up, and freezes constantly!

gymophett
February 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Urghh. This makes me so mad. :mad:
I've been using Ubuntu 8.10 on my Acer 5315 for about a month now. I've gotten pretty used to it. But this is making me so mad, and making me just want to go back to Windows because it didn't even crash this much. ](*,) :cry:
It freezes out of nowhere for no reason and sometimes alt+ctrl+backspace won't even respond and I have to take out the battery. I have 1GB of ram which I thought was plenty. A lot of the apps I have crash upon opening them, and sometimes everything shuts down for no reason at all. :/
Its just always messing up! If I can't find a fix, Idk what I'm going to do. I can't even open my System Monitor. It says it starting but nothing happens. You guys can usually help out a lot. So what can I do? My internet won't close either, nothing is working right, right now. :/

Thanks.

-Gavin.

gymophett
February 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM
*bump*

Bonsanto
February 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Same problem here :)

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd332/xBonsantox/08-02-09_0846.jpg
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd332/xBonsantox/08-02-09_0845.jpg

gymophett
February 13th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Same problem here :)

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd332/xBonsantox/08-02-09_0846.jpg
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd332/xBonsantox/08-02-09_0845.jpg

Videos don't work :(
But I'm doing a system check right now with the live CD. :/ Maybe that'll help.

Bonsanto
February 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM
My system crash too. :(
I need help too :'(
I use windows and my system doens't crash with It

Mark Phelps
February 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Gavin:

How about some info? Is Ubuntu the only OS on the machine? Are you running dual-boot? Is Ubuntu running inside of Windows? IF so, which version of windows?

What are you attempting to do when it crashes? Web surfing? If so, which browser? Watching videos? IF so, which movie viewer app? Which format videos (avi, wmv, mpeg, etc)?

Saying your machine crashes with no details is like saying your car is making funny noises -- we're not mind readers here. How about a little help.

Bonsanto:

First video is so grainy, can't see anything useful. Other two videos don't play at all. How about some text descriptions of what's going wrong?

gymophett
February 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM
The system check helped a little bit, but Picasa 3 crashes still.

listerdl
February 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Hey is this a result of having upgraded to Ibex? All things went a little wrong for me when I upgarded from Hardy Heron....little confused by this

Mark Phelps
February 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Hey folks -- we can only answer one person at a time, and one problem at a time. Every time someone adds something else to this post, the problem solving gets a lot harder. If you're having your own problems, please start your own threads.

As to Ibex upgrading , EVERY upgrade has the potential to cause problems. Let's not hijack this post off onto a tangent of Ibex-upgrade issues.

gymophett
February 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Gavin:

How about some info? Is Ubuntu the only OS on the machine? Are you running dual-boot? Is Ubuntu running inside of Windows? IF so, which version of windows?

What are you attempting to do when it crashes? Web surfing? If so, which browser? Watching videos? IF so, which movie viewer app? Which format videos (avi, wmv, mpeg, etc)?

I only have Ubuntu 8.10 running. It really isn't at any attemp when it begins to act up. It just does it at complete random.
But it does crash opening Picasa 3, but this just became a problem.

Bonsanto
February 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM
FOr example for my problem, I run 3 firefox tabs, and any game "ganome" Or just opening 4 apllications, then my system crashes.
I listen music and open soemthing more and my system crashes.
I open a game called"free civilization" is linux based and My system crashes.
I open pigin and firefox and my system crashes.
I run Amarok and my system crashes.
I try to mount a HardDrive and my SYstem crashes.

I use WIndows Xp too (fortunatly I didn't format my system), I am surviving by using WIndows.

gymophett
February 13th, 2009, 11:16 PM
FOr example for my problem, I run 3 firefox tabs, and any game "ganome" Or just opening 4 apllications, then my system crashes.
I listen music and open soemthing more and my system crashes.
I open a game called"free civilization" is linux based and My system crashes.
I open pigin and firefox and my system crashes.
I run Amarok and my system crashes.
I try to mount a HardDrive and my SYstem crashes.

I use WIndows Xp too (fortunatly I didn't format my system), I am surviving by using WIndows.

Gahh. You've got lots of problems :/