PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install 8.1 cuz keyboard won't work???

AggieTwist
February 13th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I did a few searches and couldn't find the answer in another thread. I picked up this desktop really cheap the other day and thought I might throw 8.10 on it. The problem is, I get to the Language selection screen and then my keyboard doesn't respond. I can't hit enter or select any other options. Its a Logitech Cordless Internet Pro wireless usb mouse and keyboard combo. Anyone know what would cause this and how I could maybe fix this? Thanks!

leeley
February 13th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Try this and see if it helps. I got it off of the Mandrake help site

With USB keyboard and mice, you have to check in the BIOS setting if the legacy mode is activated.

Lee

leewen@primus.ca

handydan918
February 13th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I did a few searches and couldn't find the answer in another thread. I picked up this desktop really cheap the other day and thought I might throw 8.10 on it. The problem is, I get to the Language selection screen and then my keyboard doesn't respond. I can't hit enter or select any other options. Its a Logitech Cordless Internet Pro wireless usb mouse and keyboard combo. Anyone know what would cause this and how I could maybe fix this? Thanks!
Easy-use a wired keyboard and mouse, and then try to get that wireless stuff working after installation.
BTW, I doubt you could install ANY O/S with that setup...the drivers just aren't gonna be there running off a cd, even if it's windows.

cariboo907
February 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I you booting to the desktop before installing, or are you selecting install from the menu at boot. I would suggest booting to the desktop first and make sure that your keybaord and mouse work, then select install. I always boot to the desktop first, then select install, that way I can use Firefox while installing. No sense in just sitting there and waiting for the installation to finish.

Jim

AggieTwist
February 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the speedy responses.
I'll check my BIOS settings and see what happens.
As far as using a wired combo, I guess I can but I'll have to wait and borrow one from somebody since wireless is about all I use anymore. I already know that the keyboard works well inside of Ubuntu since I'm typing this on it from inside 7.10. I checked though and it has the same issue, it does not work at any until you actually get inside the OS.
And as to trying to boot to desktop, that isn't an option since I literally can't select anything, it just sits at the Language screen before getting to a boot option.

Thanks again, I'll probably just have to get my hands on a wired keyboard real quick to install.

Terl
February 13th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Just a tip I found handy, always have a wired keyboard and wired mouse available. I have actually blown out a mouse with static shock before. I always have spares now :)

markusf21
February 13th, 2009, 09:16 PM
why don't you just go to wal-mart and pick one up. basic wired keyboards are pretty cheap. besides it's good to have an extra keyboard laying around. you never know when you might need one

AggieTwist
February 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Well, its not that I don't own one...I have several but they are all at my parents house. I have 2 laptops that I use for most of my computing needs and therefore don't even really need anything else normally. I have several extra mice laying around for gaming or whatnot, but got this keyboard and mouse for using when I have my computer hooked up to the tv. I just picked up this 1.2 ghz AMD Athlon, 512 MB, 80 GB desktop for $20 from some guy the other day so its the only desktop I have here.

I do agree its good to keep wired stuff around.

egalvan
February 13th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Easy-use a wired keyboard and mouse, and then try to get that wireless stuff working after installation.
BTW, I doubt you could install ANY O/S with that setup...the drivers just aren't gonna be there running off a cd, even if it's windows.

Gosh, I better wipe my drives of all those XP and *nix I've installed using wireless Logitech devices....
With XP, going back some 5 years... Dell, HP, IBM, Compaq, Toshiba, white-box, etc :D

Seriously, this is a BIOS problem, not an OS problem...
So...

The comment about "Legacy USB" is valid, because some older BIOS cannot see USB keyboards or mice.

If there is no Legacy setting, then use a PS/2 keyboard to install,
then switch to your wireless stuff.
In this case, you will have to use the PS/2 keyboard to make any BIOS settings, so keep it handy.

AggieTwist
February 14th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Went and got a new wired keyboard...I got it to work now. Now I just have to figure out the problem with my screen resolution...Won't give me an option higher than 800x600 and that's definitely not gonna work.