PDA

View Full Version : proposal for a future ubuntu

xan.scale
February 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM
i have made an ubuntu (using UCK) that are minimal.
why? because i want experiment how many are possible to strip ubuntu.
Result?
iso of 287 MB
installed in 1 GB.
time to start 10-15 seconds at least
etc etc..

the file image can downloaded using this LINK (ftp://xanscale:p455w0rd@www.ftpwt.com/ubuntu-8.10-mini-gui-remix-i386.iso)
(this is a temporary link)
use that image only for test, because (for the moment) are only a test..

and so?
what are the conclusions?

conclusion: certainly do not think that ubuntu should be like this distribution. but I think that ubuntu is exaggerating to integrate packages and services (which start at startup and so reduce speed of start).
it is true that Ubuntu is meant for human beings, but (similar to windows 7) I believe that it should also focus to slenderness.
for example
i think we must select 1 interpreted language and use only this in default install. now are (perl python, mono, etc)
i think that make some shortcut in menu "application" that arent a shortcut to that application, but thay are a shortcut to an easy installer for that application...
they are only 2 ideas...

bye and thx for freedom

directhex
February 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Ubuntu is already one of the leanest desktop distros out there - notice that Ubuntu comes on a CD, whilst the others come on a DVD or multiple CDs

blazemore
February 13th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Yes I find that Ubuntu is a great starting point for building your perfect distro.

I do think, however, that we should be able to choose packages to install, as part of the installation process.

zekopeko
February 13th, 2009, 03:09 PM
unnecessary IMO. ubuntu has a minimal install iso that's like 3mb large. it boots up and you can install things you want from there.

not to mention a large number of iso building programs.

issih
February 13th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Surely, if what you want is control over all your packages to really slim down your install you should go for an ubuntu minimal install or even use arch.

Generally, ubuntu needs to be as fire and forget as possible. We want new users to drop the cd in and be slightly astonished that things just work. As unfair as it may be (and its hugely unfair), if we don't do that, the average windows user will just walk away and never look back.

Standard ubuntu needs all the bells and whistles, so that the novice is comfortable, if you want lean, then you probably know what you are doing, and can satisfy yourself with a lean install of ubuntu or a different more technically focussed distro.

inportb
February 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
If you're looking for a minimal starting point, you could always use minibuntu...

http://ubuntu-mini-remix.crealabs.it/

It's a 133MB download.

Simian Man
February 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Ubuntu is already one of the leanest desktop distros out there - notice that Ubuntu comes on a CD, whilst the others come on a DVD or multiple CDs

That really has nothing to do with leaness of the installation. With a DVD install, you can install just what you want. For example you can install a text only system. I often use the Fedora DVD to install only the Slim login manager, and Xfce. This results in a leaner system than the default Ubuntu install.

xan.scale
February 13th, 2009, 06:10 PM
you have not understood the meaning of my post

I know that there are some ways to install minimal ubuntu, but I wanted to ask the question "if ubuntu was enlarging too"

I do not want to create a derived distribution.
I will discuss the fact that a minimal version of ubuntu starts up in half-time. this version have xorg gnome-core ubuntu-artwork etc etc..

in start time of ubuntu there is at least half the time used to start "secondary" services.

think it: is right to make a ubuntu (9.10 or ++) with fewer services, say a cross between a actual ubuntu and my iso??