PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] a good small mp3 player

PatrickMoore
February 13th, 2009, 03:34 AM
im looking to get a small mp3 player for use at the gym. 4gb would be perfect but it is imperative that it works with ubuntu 8.10 or later. preferably with songbird, but would be willing to use another player. i would really like playlis and shuffle functions.

ive been looking at a sansa clip but it seems support is spotty with linux

anyone have any ideas?

rafaelrc
February 13th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Many mp3 players work well with Ubuntu (Rhythmbox, Songbird and even Amarok might be useful). However, I'll tell you my personal experience with an iPod nano has been great so far with Ubuntu + Songbird. So if you want to go for one of those, I wouldn't advise you against it.

dr.silly
February 13th, 2009, 03:41 AM
sansa clip is great! and it works well with linux (Amarok)

PatrickMoore
February 13th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Many mp3 players work well with Ubuntu (Rhythmbox, Songbird and even Amarok might be useful). However, I'll tell you my personal experience with an iPod nano has been great so far with Ubuntu + Songbird. So if you want to go for one of those, I wouldn't advise you against it.

im afraid a nano is too expensive for what im looking for. i was hoping less than 100.00

konqueror7
February 13th, 2009, 03:47 AM
you could try Creative Stone, its cheaper than apple's products; but i don't know if it has a 4GB version...

PatrickMoore
February 13th, 2009, 03:56 AM
you could try Creative Stone, its cheaper than apple's products; but i don't know if it has a 4GB version...

how is it's support in ubuntu?

sailthesea
February 13th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Ive had the Zen Stone Plus for a while now it's a cracking little mp3 player but only 2GB You download the management software so no problems You,ll need some decent headphone though!

cerealtx
February 13th, 2009, 04:14 AM
im looking to get a small mp3 player for use at the gym. 4gb would be perfect but it is imperative that it works with ubuntu 8.10 or later. preferably with songbird, but would be willing to use another player. i would really like playlis and shuffle functions.

ive been looking at a sansa clip but it seems support is spotty with linux

anyone have any ideas?

you might just find one say from walmart,target, best buy that is practically just a USB device that supports mp3 play back, there drag and drop for music very simple and there very cheap

PatrickMoore
February 13th, 2009, 04:17 AM
sansa clip is great! and it works well with linux (Amarok)

does it support playlists and shuffling?

Victormd
February 13th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I have a Sansa and it works great with Ubuntu + Amarok!

laffinet
February 13th, 2009, 04:23 AM
I've got a Cowon iAudio7 8GB, shows up as a removable drive under Ubuntu, so no hassles there.

Great little player with an awesome battery life (>50hrs!!).

mandeepsmagh
February 13th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I suggest to go for Sony mp3 player. It has drag and drop function.It is also great in terms of price and battery life.

RedRat
February 13th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I've got a Cowon iAudio7 8GB, shows up as a removable drive under Ubuntu, so no hassles there.

Great little player with an awesome battery life (>50hrs!!).

Is this available in the U.S.?? If so, where and how much?

laffinet
February 13th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Is this available in the U.S.?? If so, where and how much?

Certainly is. Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=iaudio+7&x=0&y=0)for example

Might get it cheaper somewhere else, but since I'm not in the US I wouldn't know. Google :)

RedRat
February 13th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Hey thanks I will look into it. Sounds good. Does it have a screen? The Amazon image didn't show one.

laffinet
February 13th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Hey thanks I will look into it. Sounds good. Does it have a screen? The Amazon image didn't show one.

Yep, it has a colour screen, can play video too (wouldn't recommend it though, it's pretty tiny).

Have a look here: Cowon (http://www.cowonglobal.com/)

(Why do I feel like a Cowon salesman ??? :P)

PS Just noticed that they even make a reference to Linux on their product page !

RedRat
February 13th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Yep, it has a colour screen, can play video too (wouldn't recommend it though, it's pretty tiny).

Have a look here: Cowon (http://www.cowonglobal.com/)

(Why do I feel like a Cowon salesman ??? :P)

PS Just noticed that they even make a reference to Linux on their product page !

Hey thanks! It does look nice! curved too! Definitely looking into it.

dr.silly
February 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
does it support playlists and shuffling?

yes it supports playists and shuffling and podcasts