PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem setting up dual boot installation

smuir00
February 13th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hi, I have downloaded the unbuntu 8.10 file and burnt it to disk using the ISO burner, have then installed a partition using wubi and have set up the dual boot on startup.
The problem I have is after slecting to go into unbuntu is that after 1 min of the unbunto logo being displayed the PC then says:

Loading, please wait ...
Busybox v1.10.2 (unbuntu 1:1.10.2-1unbuntu6) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs) _ (and the cursor sits here)

If I leave the PC for a while it just sits here and does not move, help ?

If I boot up with the CD in the drive I can load Unbuntu through to the gnome screen as shown in the magazine.

I am running a standard Dell inspiron 530 with, core 2 processor and 3Gb of RAM.

Any help with why the loading process stops with the dual boot appreciated.

Simon

Ripose
February 13th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I'm confused, it sounds like you used Wubi to create a partition and you did not install Ubuntu at that time.

You don't need an install CD if you ran Wubi, it runs from within Windows.

presence1960
February 13th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I am not sure if your setup is proper. But if it is you want to add this to your Ubuntu selection in your menu.lst file after ro
splash all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll

Mine looks like this

title Linux Mint x64, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro splash all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

I had the same problem with Mint and adding the above solved the problem of the boot hanging. It never happend again.

I could not make out for sure if you installed via wubi or actually set up an ubuntu partition. As far as wubi goes I know nada since i have never used it.

smuir00
February 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hi, thank you for the feedback / suggestion.

Can you please confirm where I would find the file to make the edit suggested ?

Thanks

Simon

avtolle
February 13th, 2009, 05:49 PM
From looking at the Wubi forum, etc., I'd suggest to the OP that he uninstall Ubuntu through his Windows install; then, checkdsk be run (IIRC, with -r); the HDD be defragged; then, if he wishes, reinstall Ubuntu using Wubi. A common cause of dropping into busy box in a Windows install is a problem with the HDD caused by a "hard" shutdown.

Ripose
February 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I use nano to edit these types of files.
From a terminal type sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Make changes --> [CTRL] O to write out changes --> [ENTER] to use same file filename --> [CTRL] X to exit nano

Reboot

presence1960
February 14th, 2009, 03:00 AM
Ripose: +1

I still don't know if smuirr00 installed Ubuntu to a partition on his hard drive or used wubi. My suggestion will work if he installed Ubuntu to a partition. I have no idea how wubi is set up or how it works.

Ripose
February 14th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure what he done either.

WUBI is downloaded AND installed from within Windows.
No CD's, partitioning, etc.