PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] having trouble installing matplotlib

jebslg
February 12th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I don't know if the answer to this should be obvious, but I would really like to install matplotlib on my linux system. Since it isn't listed in the Add/Remove programs menu option, I tried the Synaptic Package Manager. I searched for matplotlib and had it install all the packages that appeared. Now when I go to a terminal window and type 'matplotlib' it can't find the program. Also 'locate matplotlib' doesn't work and I can't find a possible executable when I search through directories where programs are located (like /usr and /bin).

Searching online hasn't helped me find instructions that I understand, and I couldn't figure out how to install it from the tar file. Is there a simple way to install matplotlib, and is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

kanikilu
February 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I've never heard of it, but judging by the name (specifically the lib part), I'd venture to guess that this is a library and not an executable.

jebslg
February 13th, 2009, 09:02 AM
It has to do with python. I will look at some of the documentation again with that idea in mind and perhaps I will figure it out. Thanks.