PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tv card suggestions

Arthur Millar
February 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
i have an old athlon xp 2000+ 512 ram agp ati card I scored from work ;)
i am trying to turn into a media center
so far it can play web video, dvds, and some othe media formats nicely.
i have ibex 8.10 32bit running smooth with compiz fusion 3d cube and a few other things.
its been great to have the net in the lounge all those vids on google.
the machine came with an old leadtek wintv xp 2000 RM with no remote
that just doesnt work for me on this box with ubuntu and tvtime
i tried doing a few modprobe changes to the tuner and card numbers using CARDLIST but it just didnt give me any signal i also set up tv time broadcast to my country with no luck
so i just removed it
a friend of mine another linux enthusiast gave me an old tv card he had lying around but no manual or packaging so i looked up the serial on the card ie tun900 XXXXXXXXXX-X
this card also didnt just work out the box and i have modprobed this card as well no signal however i have no way to determine if this card is saa7133 or yuan yuan whatever either
i found an old picture of the card reviewed a couple years ago on some ancient looking site and the manufacturer has discontinued the card
palit funtime smartvdo yadda yadda

my point is
i have now tried 2 cards with no luck and no way to test them in windows no driver exist for the tun card
and neither work in ubuntu

what cheap tv card can i get to work on this hardware with ubuntu??
my wirless keyboard and mouse make it sorta cool too but i wanna get a logitech MX air so I don't need a remote!

wolfen69
February 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM
i use a Hauppauge PVR150 with no problems. remember my screen name and PM me if you decide to get one. i have a little guide on getting it going. takes all of 1 1/2 minutes. :P

LowSky
February 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
scrape the MX air and get the Logitech Di Novo Mini... its a keyboard and mouse all in one

Hauppauge PVR150 is an awesome video card +1 to that recomendation

Just note: You should make sure to get a Digital tuner, as many countries are switching to Digital only bradcasts (like the US the switchover is now in June)

wolfen69
February 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Just note: You should make sure to get a Digital tuner, as many countries are switching to Digital only bradcasts (like the US the switchover is now in June)

according to Hauppauge's website, only people that get their signal "over the air" via antenna, will lose their ability to get tv. cable users are OK.

Arthur Millar
February 12th, 2009, 09:42 PM
scrape the MX air and get the Logitech Di Novo Mini... its a keyboard and mouse all in one

Hauppauge PVR150 is an awesome video card +1 to that recomendation

im drooling already thanks for the heads up
that di novo looks great

Arthur Millar
February 18th, 2009, 04:25 PM
so i bought a hauppauge 150 pvr mce off the net and those dummys gave me one with a remote which was not the card i chose from their list
i wanted a pvr 150 not MCE
anyway it doesn't work out the box with tvtime either, SIGH.........
tvtime give me the
ivtv invalid argument error and no signal
h

LowSky
February 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
according to Hauppauge's website, only people that get their signal "over the air" via antenna, will lose their ability to get tv. cable users are OK.

Yes cable companies are OK but only if you use a set top box, if its a direct cable line to the Tuner your signal may go out. Be smart and buy a digital tuner

http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2008/08/cable_and_the_d.html

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/dtvcable.pdf

Arthur Millar
February 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
I got it to work with mythtv
tvtime does not support PVR