PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] remove windows, keep ubuntu

hollowtd
February 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 alongside Xp. I would now like to get rid of XP and keep Ubuntu. Is this possible or do I have to do everything from scratch? I'd like to free up the diskspace and just have the computer be a linux machine. Thanks again

kanikilu
February 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
If you just want to wipe out the Windows partition and reclaim the space, you can use the Ubuntu Live CD to run GParted. Just remove the Windows Partition and then you can resize the Ubuntu partition without losing your data. After that, you'll probably just want to make sure the Windows stanza is removed from your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (assuming you are using GRUB as your boot manager).

Here's a generic guide on using GParted:

http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

It recommends you download the GParted Live CD, but if you have the Ubuntu Live CD, just boot with that and then go to System > Administration > Partition editor, or press ALT+F2 and type gksu gparted.

Oh, and the resizing step can take a fair amount of time, or at least it did in my case...

hollowtd
February 12th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Wow, thanks. I'll take a look into that and let you know if I run into any problems. Sounds sort of complicated for my level, however. I have the Ubuntu 8.10 CD that I got in the mail but that is all. I'm not sure what the windows stanza line means, so once I understand that, I think I know where you're coming from. I'm not sure what Gparted means either, but I'll look at the guide link you pasted here. Thanks

wolfen69
February 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM
just boot the live cd, open terminal and:

sudo su
then

gparted
then you will see the partitions on your computer. there is a pull down menu on the top right. select the windows partition. just right click it and delete. next go to the pull down menu again and select your ubuntu partition. right click and resize. you will then be able to "drag" the rectangular box to whatever size you want.

drjonze
February 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Wow, thanks. I'll take a look into that and let you know if I run into any problems. Sounds sort of complicated for my level, however. I have the Ubuntu 8.10 CD that I got in the mail but that is all. I'm not sure what the windows stanza line means, so once I understand that, I think I know where you're coming from. I'm not sure what Gparted means either, but I'll look at the guide link you pasted here. Thanks

Its simpler than you think. The 'windows stanza' is the text you see in the boot menu, its the option you select to boot xp, you won't want it if you don't have it. All you have to do is edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file. just type:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and then delete the Windows xp text. Just delete everything after the line:
### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

'gparted' is a partition editor. It will allow you to see all of the partitions on your hard drive and edit them as needed.

hollowtd
February 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks again. I'll give it a go and let you know if this solves it. I'd like others to know as I had trouble finding anything detailing this sort of uninstall. Thanks again.

hollowtd
February 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
by live cd we're talking about my ubuntu 8.10 cd I got in the mail, correct?

Therion
February 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM
by live cd we're talking about my ubuntu 8.10 cd I got in the mail, correct?
That's the one!

hollowtd
February 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM
The cd gives me choices: select one: try ubuntu without change, install, check cd for defects, test memory and boot from first hard disk? which do I do I guess?

dazzlindonna
February 12th, 2009, 09:28 PM
oh, and "the resizing step can take a fair amount of time" can mean hours and hours, so just be aware and allocate enough time.

marco123
February 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
The cd gives me choices: select one: try ubuntu without change, install, check cd for defects, test memory and boot from first hard disk? which do I do I guess?

"Try Ubuntu without change" will boot you into a "Live" environment where you can open the terminal and enter the gparted commands above.

adder1972
February 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Congrats on becoming Windows free!

Remember that you don't have to resize your "old" XP-partition. You can just reformat it and use it as a separate partition.

If you want, you can mount it at boot time to a folder in your home-folder for instance. See some tips here: http://arcticlinux.blogspot.com/2007/08/mounting.html

drjonze
February 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM

Select 'try Ubuntu without change'.

hollowtd
March 23rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
I put the live CD in now and it ask me the five things: try ubuntu and install etc. I already have Ubuntu on my computer. Which do I choose to get run it "live" and then get rid of XP? Just getting to this now?

hollowtd
March 23rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I'm gonna try it now and become Windows Free I hope. I'll see if I run into trouble. Thanks

hollowtd
March 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
HELL YEAH, WINDOWS FREE. Now, How do I get rid of the boot menu stuff that loads when I turn on my computer so there's a nice clean boot up? Can someone explain to me this and gedit? thanks again

hollowtd
March 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
and how do I check for the freed up space? to see if it's there I guess?