PDA

View Full Version : [other] About Windows Managers

DrKenobi
February 12th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I Have an iMac DV G3 400Mhz 128MB 10GB and I want to install Ubuntu GNU/Linux. I will do it with the Alternate CD. After Adding Repositories, Installing X.org, etc, I would like to add a Window Manager. I want to know if all Window Manager works on PowerPC. I was thinking in Openbox, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, etc. I will not use Xubuntu because I only have 128MB of RAM....

Thanx

Faolan84
February 12th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I've used quite a few window managers in my day and for light window managers Openbox wins hands down. Flux is okay, Enlightenment sucks (it's has a lot of features but can be difficult to work with).

Other window managers and light desktop environments that might interest you are LXDE which I hear is good, and WindowMaker / Afterstep which use the GNUStep widget set, so just to warn you the applications will look butt ugly. As far as features and functions it's pretty good though.

But to stick to my original point, if you want something fast, theme-able, full of options, easy to use and configure, then go with Openbox. If you don't like the default look you can always download themes for it at box-look.org

DrKenobi
February 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Ok, Openbox will be my Window Manager! But: is going to work in PowerPC? With Alternate CD of Ubuntu 8.10? I will have to change my repositories?

Thanx

Faolan84
February 12th, 2009, 08:45 PM
It should work on a PowerPC, and you will not have to worry about changing repositories. Also you may want to look into replace the display manager ("login prompt") from GDM to SLiM. It's much faster, just as theme-able, and as long as you don't neet to log onto your powerpc from afar (via the Net) then you should be just fine. That will also decreae the amount of time it takes to boot up your computer.

DrKenobi
February 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I read something about SLiM, and I was thinking to use it as Login Manager.

Thanx!