PDA

View Full Version : order of Swap area allocation

keronbn
February 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Hi,
http://beginlinux.com/desktop_traini...d-ibex-install
I made partitions as described in the website.but with a little different.Swap area is after partition in which linux installation partition and not after the boot partition as described in website.Does that going to change the performance if there is difference in the order in which partitions are arranged?
I want to run a virtual pc with windowsXP.Where will the space be taken for XP installation?from partition in which ubuntu installed or its just from anywhere in HDD?

Hospadar
February 12th, 2009, 06:17 PM
The order probably doesn't really matter at all much. While I suspect that if I did a real in depth analysis of seek times on different positions I might find that some are better than others, I suspect a normal human not living in some sort of hyper-time fractal zone would never be able to tell the difference.

If you boot up, and everything works, and your drives are mounted like they are supposed to be, I'd say there's nothing to worry about

jerome1232
February 12th, 2009, 06:19 PM
As far as Running xp in a virtual machine you can choose where to save the virtual hard drive to during the process of setting the virtual machine setup.