PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How do I install .deb printer drivers?

Bearly Able
February 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying to configure an Epson Stylus Office BX300F all-in-one printer. I've downloaded the drivers from Epson as .deb files, but I'm not sure how to go about installing them. Can I just use
sudo dpkg -i *.deb Is this the right command, and will the drivers be installed in the right directory?

Second question: can anyone recommend a good book to help me understand the command line stuff, so I don't have to ask so many daft questions on the forums? I have a good general book (Beginning Ubuntu Linux - Novice to Professional by Keir Thomas), but it only has a brief section on using the command line.

Thanks for any help you can offer on either question.

Lesley

scragar
February 12th, 2009, 05:34 PM
That command will work, although there is a gui which looks better if you just double click the isntaller(or atleast there is in ubuntu, not sure about Xubuntu).

I think it is easier to learn what you need on the command line and learn it step by step, getting some comprehensive guide might be nice, but it will likely be more confusing than anything else.

Sub101
February 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM
In general with .deb you can double click and they will run.

mc4100
February 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Can anyone recommend a good book to help me understand the command line stuff, so I don't have to ask so many daft questions on the forums? I have a good general book (Beginning Ubuntu Linux - Novice to Professional by Keir Thomas), but it only has a brief section on using the command line.

Thanks for any help you can offer on either question.

Lesley
It's not a book, but:
http://www.linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php#contents

wolfen69
February 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
just put the file in your home directory and:

sudo dpkg -i name_of_file.deb or just double click to install.

Bearly Able
February 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I followed your instructions and the drivers seemed to install just fine, but they're not appearing on the list of available drivers when I try to configure the printer. I found a tip elsewhere that the drivers for another model will work, and it does seem to be printing OK at the moment, but I'd really like to use the correct drivers. I haven't tried the scanner, but I suspect it may not work on the current configuration. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the link, mc4100 - it's just what I was looking for.

Lesley

stchman
February 17th, 2009, 07:11 PM
That printer is reported to work "Mostly" according to openprinting.org

http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_Office_BX300F

Are you having problems printing at all?

Bearly Able
February 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Hi stchman,

The system belongs to an elderly friend, who has never used a computer before, and was given this one. Hence, I've not had much time to play about with the printer, or check the scanner. Using the driver for Stylus CX3800, it prints mono text nicely, if very slowly, but I haven't tried it with colour or images.

Lesley