PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] getting around mobo tatoo to install XP on VirtualBox

occams_beard
February 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I have a set of XP recovery discs from an old HP Pavilion. I no longer have the computer, but since I paid for the discs I'd still like to use them on VirutalBox.

Unfortunately, they'll only install if they see the HP "tattoo" on the motherboard, which obviously doesn't exist in VirutalBox. So I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any way to get around this. Seems unlikely, but you never know, I suppose.

Hospadar
February 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Here's what I would suggest:
Go to the pirate bay or a friend with some windows cd's wherever and get a normal winows installer cd of the same version you own, then use the windows product key from your legit copy to activate it once you get it all installed. It's bogus that your recovery disks won't just install windows where you tell them too, but you'll just have to work with it. It's a perfectly legal thing to do to put a copy of windows that you own on a machine you own.

niteshifter
February 12th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Hi,

Actually ....

if (one desires to be legal) && (true to one's word) && !(violate forum policy) {
purchase retail copy of XP
}
else
{ if use TPB { set BSA_Target(True) }
if use other_machine { set Integrity_Flag(False) }
print IP_circumvention_techniques && set Potential_Forum_Warn(True)
}

fun with pseudo-code ;)

BSA = Business Software Alliance, a group of modern-era soulless zombies you don't wish to get crosswise with. I've seen them in action, it is A) Ugly, B) Expensive.

By the XP EULA - which does not addresss virtualization (unlike Vista's) - you can use your OEM supplied CDs only on the computer they came with. Thing is, you agreed to this when installing, thereby placing your integrity up for debate.

Sucks, I know. Not judging, just sayin' know what the risks are.