PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] iBook G3 display issue - screen repeats on left & black bar on right side

guthrie
February 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I have an iBook that shrinks the desktop and repeats it down the left hand side of the display, With a black bar along the right side that I assume is just "unused space" also between the 2 repeating desktop screens there is a grey bar that runs horizontally across the monitor, including the "unused space. I'm not too familiar with the command line so I wanted to try to get some situation specific answers first before I go trying random things. Thanks in advance.

I hope that this explanation makes sense.

ghostz
February 21st, 2009, 07:43 AM
i have the same damn problem but cannot find any solution but modifying the xorg.conf file that u cannot gain permission for so if u have fixed this let me know i want mine to work

cyberdork33
February 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM
i have the same damn problem but cannot find any solution but modifying the xorg.conf file that u cannot gain permission for so if u have fixed this let me know i want mine to work

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

ghostz
February 21st, 2009, 11:07 AM
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

i have tried that but no go lol its kinda impossible to get permission to i even logged in to root user to try it and no go

cyberdork33
February 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM
i have tried that but no go lol its kinda impossible to get permission to i even logged in to root user to try it and no go
that doesn't make any sense at all. what is the error you are getting?

ghostz
February 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
that doesn't make any sense at all. what is the error you are getting?

sorry um i get an error when i try to open the xorg.cof it opens a blank page when i type this:
sudo gedit or nano /etc/x11/xorg.conf i even tried
sudo -i to login to root user ai tried to edit it and it would give me the same error and i dont know what else to do

cyberdork33
February 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
sorry um i get an error when i try to open the xorg.cof it opens a blank page when i type this:
sudo gedit or nano /etc/x11/xorg.conf i even tried
sudo -i to login to root user ai tried to edit it and it would give me the same error and i dont know what else to do
ok, what is the error? can you type it exactly.

bronzehedwick
April 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM
ok, what is the error? can you type it exactly.

I have the same problem on my iBook G3. The error I get is

username is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
Any thoughts?

cyberdork33
April 14th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I have the same problem on my iBook G3. The error I get is

username is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.Any thoughts?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1118382

stream303
April 14th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Watch out for the capital X in X11

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

This can also creep up on you when looking at the logfile for X

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

:)

cyberdork33
April 14th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Watch out for the capital X in X11

/etc/X11/xorg.conf