PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SSH iPhone USB

tygoerlitz
February 12th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Does anyone know if there is a way to ssh into the iphone 3G in ubuntu. The primary reason to do this is because i want to try and use the internet from my iphone on my comp, since i dont have a wireless card. Please help!

Thanks

Hobgoblin
February 12th, 2009, 04:26 AM
I think you are thinking about it the wrong way.

You want to use your iPhone as a 3G modem?

punx45
February 12th, 2009, 04:35 AM
you have to jailbreak the phone, and install openSSH on it. you can then tunnel to it and use it as a proxy. most tutorials i have seen use an ad-hoc wifi network to achieve this so you may be out of luck. i have seen a couple using the USB cable but they involved windows programs which i assume dealt with communicating over the bus. you can try some googling and see if anything else turns up.

tygoerlitz
February 12th, 2009, 05:05 AM
ok thanks. Yes I am trying to use my iphone as a 3G modem since I dont have a wireless card in my ibook.

Legolover64
February 12th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Once you jailbreak your iPhone, go into Cydia. Find "PdaNet" and install it. Create an ad-hoc wireless network on your computer, join it with your phone, and start PdaNet. It has all the daemons and everything running to make it all "just work" and you'll be tethered in no time :)

tygoerlitz
February 12th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Ya i would do that but i dont have a wireless card in my laptop

cyberdork33
February 13th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I believe that doing this over USB only works in Windows currently.

You might want to read up on SSH. SSH is something you do over a network connection... so you would have to have a network connection on both the iPhone and your computer in order to "ssh in" to your iPhone.

togume
September 8th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Sorry to revive this, but this does in fact work: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1570791

@cyberdork33 - :P

gb@ssan
November 25th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hi

There is a simple solution to do this. Check it out in the following link: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/iphone-tethering-on-ubuntu-9-10-karmic.html

I am using my 3Gs iPhone as 3g modem for the last 6 months with my 10.04 - 10.10 ubuntu.

Regards.