PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help Installing Ubuntu on my Powerbook G4

thefalconer
February 9th, 2009, 02:34 AM
I'm trying to install Linux for the first time and I currently have a 12" PowerBook G4 with a 867MHz PowerPC G4 and 640 MB DDR SDRAM. Can anyone explain to me on where to get started on how to boot up Ubuntu or redirect me to an existing post and/or good tutorial?

Osamabingandhi
February 9th, 2009, 02:39 AM
you need some boot agent of some kind bootcamp?

Osamabingandhi
February 9th, 2009, 02:45 AM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPC

thefalconer
February 9th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I'm a noob and just wasn't sure where to get started, that link seems very helpful so far, thanks. Currently downloading the iso.

mkvnmtr
February 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Be sure to down load the powerpc live disk. 8.04.1 will give you the least trouble with booting. On my Ibook I have to press the tab key as the first words come up as it begins to boot. This takes you to a screen with some options to load the kernel. The one that works for me is "linux-nosplash-powerpc". I have to type this in and press enter and it will finish the boot and go to a desktop. At this point you can check out the os and see if it works for you and you like it. You shoud have internet and be able to use it just like when it is installed. Becaust it is working off the disk it will be slower than after it is installed. If you want to install double click the install icon and answer the questions and install it. At any point up to formating you can back out to the desk top and use Firefox to come on to the forums to ask questions. Don't worry about that bootcamp stuff tha install disk installs yboot to give you a choice of osx or Ubuntu if you choose to dual boot.