PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Server Operations From 8.10 Desktop

darksideforge
February 7th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I have a Dell desktop computer that has Ubuntu v8.10 Intrepid Ibex installed on it. This Dell is connected to a network controlled by a Xeon server system. Currently, one of the Xeon HDD's has Red Hat Enterprise and the RHE controls email and webserver duties. The other HDD has Windows 2003 Server installed, and this controls Outlook and common files.

I've noticed that Ubuntu Desktop has a plethora of networking tools and more can be downloaded, and this leads to several questions:

1) Can Outlook files/data be exported and then imported into Evolution? I would need names, contact data, etc. I would either be able to perform the operation from the Outlook workstation directly or from the Win2k3 Server. Is Evolution the best* replacement out in Linux-land for this type of thing? OpenOffice.org leaves a little bit to be desired in terms of compatibility with MSWord, so I'm thinking about downloading AbiWord and trying that...any suggestions or experiences?

2) There are plenty of "client" networking protocols installed on my Ubuntu Desktop, but very few "host" applications. I realize that this is mostly what the Server Edition is for, but is it possible to download some Host apps and install them on my Desktop-equipped Dell?

3) I have three workstations that are equipped similarly and each have WindowsXP on them. They are primarily used for C++ code programming and I'd like to get rid of the XP and install Ubuntu Desktop on them...what is the best C++ application to run in a Gnome-based DTE?

4) What is the best way to set up a common folder on the "host" desktop machine so that each of the three "workstation" desktops have unrestricted access to it for storing and retrieving working files? Obviously, the commonly shared folder would have several subfolders for different applications.

5) What is the best open-source Backup program out there? I do not compress my data prior to backing it up. All backups are sent to an LTO 600Mb Tape and I do not overwrite my data...when the tape is full, it goes into an off-site vault and a new tape is used. So, I need an open-source Backup program, and also one that is compatible with sending data to an LTO Tape Drive.

*) My goal will be to set this up so that my employer will see that it CAN be done (if, of course, it can) and then I will be able to get rid of the Windows 2003 Server AND the Red Hat Enterprise Server and then everything will be run from one of the Xeon servers with either Ubuntu Desktop on it configured identically to the Dell desktop machine, or I'll put Ubuntu Server on it along with a Gnome-based GUI.

Thank you for any and all help you may be able to provide.

~The Dark Side