PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless dies after update

rtlinux
February 7th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Hello everyone.

I recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop. I configured my wireless using network configuration, and when I restarted it worked great. My problem came when I updated using the update manager. After updating and rebooting, the wireless doesn't connect or even show up on the top bar. I know the kernel was 2.6.27-7 before the update and now is 2.6.27-11. I finally gave up and reinstalled ubuntu from the live cd again. Once again the wireless worked fine, but I am afraid to update because it might kill the wireless again. Is there a way to find out which update caused the problem, or could it be the kernel itself? There were 245 updates, so I have no idea which one did it.

My laptop is a Gateway model TA7 and the wireless card is the Intel 3945abg. Thanks!

odium1
February 7th, 2009, 11:16 PM
just look and see which update is for kernal 2.6.27-11 i suppose. that's what i'm going to do. i updated a few nights ago as soon as the update was available and now my wired (eth0) connection doesn't work unless i boot into the previous kernel and even after that it's ridiculously slow. i've been reading around for a few days now trying to figure out a good solution and all i can tell you is the bug was reported (several times) on launchpad and the developers are on top of it. I'm sure they'll have a fix for it before long. Until then we just have to make do and ride it out. just look for the newest kernel update and un-check it.

ugm6hr
February 7th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6663910#post6663910

Might give you ideas...

rtlinux
February 7th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I'll try unchecking the kernel updates and see how that goes. I think are four or five updates that mention the new kernel, so I'll try updating without them. If I figure anything out I'll repost. Thanks again!

rtlinux
February 8th, 2009, 12:16 AM
*Update*

I update everything except the packages that mentioned the new kernel. My wireless still works so it must be a kernel problem. I'm just happy to have my wireless working. Ubuntu is the only distro I've tried so far that I've been able to connect with.:D