PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless stopped working suddenly

Gremmie
February 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I'm using a Dell XPS M1530 laptop with Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Last night the update manager ran, and it installed some new stuff, including a new kernel (2.6.24-23.48). It seemed to run okay, and I used it a few times without problems. I went to shutdown, and it locked up on me. I used the power key to turn it off. In the morning, I fired it up, and it can't find any wireless connections.

I've checked the bios, and the wireless is still enabled there.

I tried to follow the help, and here is the output of lshw -C network:

brian@gremmie:~$ sudo lshw -C network
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 12
serial: 00:21:9b:d5:e7:40
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.20 firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no module=sky2 multicast=yes port=twisted pair
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
logical name: wmaster0
version: 02
serial: 00:1f:3c:a8:fb:6e
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 latency=0 module=iwl3945 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg

The DISABLED part looks weird to me I guess. How do I enable it? I can use the network manager in the top tool bar, and if I right click on it, it says that wireless is enabled.

I did try booting older kernels but it didn't help.

Any advice? Thanks.

Gremmie
February 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Well don't I feel dumb.

Apparently there is a little slider switch on the right side of my laptop to enable/disable wireless. Didn't even think to check that.

Works great now! ](*,) :p