PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network Connections go crazy in one building only...

mikespug
February 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm running ubuntu 8.10 on an acer aspire one with an intel 3945 wireless card and Wicd network manager and have no trouble with either the wired or wireless ethernet until I enter one library on my colleges campus. I know there are many networks available to connect (wired at every table and wireless on every floor) but as soon as I boot my laptop in this one particular building both wicd and iwlist scan fail when scanning for networks (I can't remember the exact output off hand) and my wired connection simply doesn't work. As soon as I get home or to another building on campus things work as normal. I've never seen anything like it. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

superprash2003
February 7th, 2009, 06:22 PM
well it depends.. are signals weak there??

mikespug
February 7th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Quite the opposite...signals are very strong. It's not simply a matter of detecting the signal...it's almost as if the hardware fails. Running the command "sudo iwlist scan" in a terminal returns and error and won't scan...anywhere else though things are fine.