PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound Recording with Ubuntu's Simple Tools

Cheemag
February 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Recording using Recorder: captured audio plays well if kept within Recorder, save it and when played back via Recorder or Rythmbox, the sound is jerky, stutters, has squeaks and groans. The playback is indescribably awful when played back on an XP machione, and there is no support for .MP3.

Recommendations to replace these tools? A search turns up totally confusing information: Adacious doesn't work well; the on-screen player is so tiny and colourless it's impossible to use (and doesn't record streaming audio in any case); XMMS is no longer available for some reason, and there is so much confusing information about Amarok that it's difficult to know what it can and can't do!

Could I have the wrong drivers for the Soundblaster or no drivers at all? How can I check? Streamed radio plays well in good stereo, it's just recording and playing it back that's the problem.

(Linux Novice)

Cheemag
February 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Recording using Recorder: captured audio plays well if kept within Recorder, save it and when played back via Recorder or Rythmbox, the sound is jerky, stutters, has squeaks and groans. The playback is indescribably awful when played back on an XP machione, and there is no support for .MP3.

Recommendations to replace these tools? A search turns up totally confusing information: Adacious doesn't work well; the on-screen player is so tiny and colourless it's impossible to use (and doesn't record streaming audio in any case); XMMS is no longer available for some reason, and there is so much confusing information about Amarok that it's difficult to know what it can and can't do!

Could I have the wrong drivers for the Soundblaster or no drivers at all? How can I check? Streamed radio plays well in good stereo, it's just recording and playing it back that's the problem.

(Linux Novice)

I'll try another forum. Bye.

khelben1979
February 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Try AudaCity.

sudo apt-get install audacity
if it isn't installed already.