PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Youtube wont work

BrentonEccles
February 7th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Why cant I view a LOT of youtube and other .flv type videos online?
Ive got the right programs/drivers to do so isntalled, and even the youtube video will load up and so forth but just refuses to play.

How do I fix this?

linuxuser21
February 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Go System>Add/Remove Applications. Type in "flash" in search bar and download Macromedia Flash plugin.

BrentonEccles
February 7th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Go System>Add/Remove Applications. Type in "flash" in search bar and download Macromedia Flash plugin.

Ive already done that. The problem is its function. Videos refuse to play.

gandaran
February 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
can you provide system details? 32-bits or 64-bits ubuntu? 8.04 or 8.10?

BrentonEccles
February 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
memory: 487.6 MiB
Intel Celeron CPU

Im pretty sure Im on 64 bits ubuntu ...

gandaran
February 7th, 2009, 11:33 AM
memory: 487.6 MiB
Intel Celeron CPU

Im pretty sure Im on 64 bits ubuntu ...
okay for 64-bits remove the flashplugin-nonfree (flashplugin-nonfree is 32-bits flash) or any other flash like gnash or swfdec installed, use synaptic for complete removal, now get the 64-bits adobe flash here (http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/libflashplayer-10.0.d21.1.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz)
to install extract the package and move the libflashplayer.so file to /home/'user'/.mozilla/plugins (make the plugins folder) or if you have more than one user account or use another browser like opera install it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

BrentonEccles
February 8th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Now I get a permission error when I try to move libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins ... thats really wierd because Im the only user besides root.

Whats the problem?

chriswyatt
February 8th, 2009, 01:53 AM
You need to be root to modify all or most things outside of your home folder:

Press Alt-F2 and a little dialog box will pop up. Now enter "gksudo nautilus" (minus speech marks) and press enter. This will open up Nautilus as root and you'll be able to copy the files from there.

BrentonEccles
February 8th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Thank-you kindly for your help, problems solved. :)

Linux is quite a learning experience, albeit enjoyable too.