PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need an idiot proof guide to setting up wireles on an acer aspire one

Whodyacryem
February 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Hey I'm 100% new to linux and its workings. Seriously I only installed it 5 minutes ago so don't assume I know anything (I dont). I have an Acer aspire one and I need to know how to get the wireless working (drivers, setting up the connection etc). I dont currently have a connection to the internet at all on the laptop in question so all files will be downloaded on this machine and transfered via USB stick.

Thank you for any help given.

basketcase
February 7th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Does that have the realtek or ralink wifi card? The best thing I ever did for my MSI Wind was replace the wifi card.

danni-la
February 7th, 2009, 01:12 AM
this link has detailed instructions...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

I however found the easiest way (via lan internet connection) was to install the backports

sudo aptitude install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic

this was the easiest and most reliable on my machine and so far no breaks. The madwifi drivers are supposed to be better but I couldn't get them to work on my machine.

Cheers Danni

superprash2003
February 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
if you still have problems go to the terminal(Applications->Accessories->Terminal) and type lshw -C network and post output here ( copy and paste)..