PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] good DVD player?

braveheart2
February 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
i can't get any of my DVD's to work with the default Ubuntu apps...i've done everything it says to do in the 8.10 documentation for DVD watching and it doesn't work...so what would be a good DVD media player? if its going to be cross platform than how do i install it to wine?

Melcar
February 6th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Try VLC.

nebu
February 6th, 2009, 07:08 PM
try mplayer

braveheart2
February 6th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Try VLC.

ok, do i need any of the plugins or the version with X support? or just the multimedia streamer and common data? is there anything else i should know before installing this?

wolfen69
February 6th, 2009, 07:39 PM
if you add the medibuntu repo and libdvdcss2, you should have no problems. i use vlc.

braveheart2
February 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM
this is the error i get when using Mplayer.

braveheart2
February 6th, 2009, 09:39 PM
how do i install medibuntu? the site doesn't make sense.

(sorry about double post, didn't mean to)

123Mike
February 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
mplayer has to be the grand master overlord of player software. Normally just command line, but there are a number of gui front ends for it. I think mplayer has an optional gui version as well (gmplayer)

Also, I've seen a few dvd rip programs as well. Acidrip and ogmrip from what I recall. It let's you convert a dvd into a video file, and uses mencoder (which is part of mplayer) to encode/convert the video. mencoder is probably also the grand master overlord of encoders.

andrew.46
February 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Hi 123Mike,

mplayer has to be the grand master overlord of player software. Normally just command line, but there are a number of gui front ends for it. I think mplayer has an optional gui version as well (gmplayer)

A recent development for MPlayer has also been the incorporation of the code that allows the use of DVD menus when accessing a DVD movie. I am not sure if the best MPlayer front-end SMPlayer has support for this feature yet.

Andrew

Crafty Kisses
February 6th, 2009, 11:09 PM
VLC all the way!

mc4man
February 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I am not sure if the best MPlayer front-end SMPlayer has support for this feature yet.
It does if you make a change in the setting for the mouse, the implementation isn't so good yet (in regards to mplayer, mainly audio stream related)

@braveheart2
that error in mplayer suggests it's looking to the wrong device. Mplayer defaults to /dev/dvd, your drive may be /dev/dvd1 or higher
run this to see

sudo lshw -C disk

braveheart2
February 7th, 2009, 12:13 AM
@mc4man, ok i did it...now what am i looking for in the terminal after i type that?

Bablefish
February 7th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I like Kaffiene

mc4man
February 7th, 2009, 12:25 AM
looking for in the terminal after i type that?

Here's part of the entry for one of my cd/dvd drives ( look at red arrow, the blue arrow is good to know also

*-cdrom:0
description: DVD-RAM writer
product: DVD A DH20A4P
vendor: ATAPI
physical id: 0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom1
logical name: /dev/cdrw1
logical name: /dev/dvd1 <---
logical name: /dev/dvdrw1
logical name: /dev/scd0 <---
logical name: /dev/sr0
logical name: /media/cdrom0
version: 9P59
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r dvd-ram
configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8 state=mounted status=ready

braveheart2
February 7th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Here's part of the entry for one of my cd/dvd drives ( look at red arrow, the blue arrow is good to know also

well mine is different...so im guessing thats bad? how do i change it? is yours set to watch DVD's?

mc4man
February 7th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Why don't you just copy and paste what your seeing into a reply to this thread

braveheart2
February 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM
faith11@ubuntufaiths:~$ sudo lshw -C disk
*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: WDC WD1600AAJB-2
vendor: Western Digital
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: 58.0
serial: WD-WCAS29050790
size: 149GiB (160GB)
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=0004e19d
*-cdrom
description: DVD reader
product: DVD-ROM SD-616Q
vendor: SAMSUNG
physical id: 0.1.0
bus info: scsi@0:0.1.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: F403
capabilities: removable audio dvd
configuration: ansiversion=5 mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8 state=mounted status=ready
*-medium
physical id: 0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
configuration: mount.fstype=udf mount.options=ro,nosuid,nodev,utf8 state=mounted
faith11@ubuntufaiths:~$

there ya go.

mc4man
February 7th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Looks absolutely fine, did you follow the adcive offered earlier in this thread about medibuntu, libdvdcss2 ect.?

If so you may need to ck. to see if a region has been set on the drive.

If not there a sticky in the main page for Multimedia & Video you can look thru or here's a simple dvd only

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6223490#post6223490

( to ck. settings on mplayer open it from the Applications menu, right click -> preferences -> misc, if it says /dev/dvd for DVD Device your good there

Nakota
February 7th, 2009, 02:47 AM
the easyest way is to install an app called ubuntu twaek its 3ed party (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/) from here you open the applcations tab then the third party packages from this point you will need to hit the unlock button (keep in mind that third party programs can be securety risks but in this instance its coming from an ubuntu server so it should be ok) check the mediabuntu checkbox and close the program (it will ask to reload... let it) now the mediabuntu packages should be avalible from synaptic, check libdvdcss2 and apply you should now be able to play dvds.... be aware that if your in the us its illigal to download a dvd codac without paying the creator (if you have one under windows i beleve that counts as paying for it seeing as its the same pc)

if you install any of the other 3ed party packages and synaptic shows an error uncheck it and refresh and it should resolve the problem

braveheart2
February 7th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Looks absolutely fine, did you follow the adcive offered earlier in this thread about medibuntu, libdvdcss2 ect.?

If so you may need to ck. to see if a region has been set on the drive.

If not there a sticky in the main page for Multimedia & Video you can look thru or here's a simple dvd only

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6223490#post6223490

( to ck. settings on mplayer open it from the Applications menu, right click -> preferences -> misc, if it says /dev/dvd for DVD Device your good there
that link fixed all my problems, thank you! wow Ubuntu is amazing:shock:

the easyest way is to install an app called ubuntu twaek its 3ed party (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/) from here you open the applcations tab then the third party packages from this point you will need to hit the unlock button (keep in mind that third party programs can be securety risks but in this instance its coming from an ubuntu server so it should be ok) check the mediabuntu checkbox and close the program (it will ask to reload... let it) now the mediabuntu packages should be avalible from synaptic, check libdvdcss2 and apply you should now be able to play dvds.... be aware that if your in the us its illigal to download a dvd codac without paying the creator (if you have one under windows i beleve that counts as paying for it seeing as its the same pc)

if you install any of the other 3ed party packages and synaptic shows an error uncheck it and refresh and it should resolve the problem

ok, I'll look into that.