PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Internet speed

avidsensei
February 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hello everyone,
I have a very interesting question for all of you today.
Does anyone know how to increase network speed when your bandwidth is throttled?
Here is the situation; I am A U.S. Army soldier in Afghanistan, and we all pay 100$ per month for shoddy internet. At off peek times I get 15kbps MAX with a 5kbps upload rate. Now the internet I am paying for is supposed to be 128/64 but they have it throttled way back. The people that run the place don't speak english very well, so it is nearly impossible to communicate the problem to them... and believe me I have tried several times with no avail. Any help or light or ideas or anything would be of great help.

avidsensei
February 6th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I should also mention, the company that provides the internet service to us here on the base is extremely shady. They have an internet login page that you have to keep open to access the internet, and when it is open it constantly tries to push malware to your computer. Very lucky that I am a linux user. Google also has their site black listed for suspicious practices and malware hosting.

I Don't know if this is an intranet or internet site but if you are interested the link is
http://172.16.5.1/24online/servlet/CyberoamHTTPClient

GO AT YOUR OWN RISK WINDOWS USERS.

superprash2003
February 6th, 2009, 06:18 PM
well i dont think you can do much... what does www.speedtest.net say?

avidsensei
February 7th, 2009, 04:31 AM
well i get about 60 Kb/s down and 20 Kb/s up

superprash2003
February 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM
is your browsing speed ok'/?? i mean when opening webpages and stuff??