PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure out why I get a "xxxxx.parentNode is null" error in javascript

mnemonik
February 6th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Hello everyone, I'm working on a webpage where I have the following javascript code:

var bigImg = null;

function makeBig(source) {

bigImg = document.createElement('img');

bigImg.style.position="absolute";

bigImg.style.left=((winWidth() - 800)/2) + "px";

bigImg.style.top=((winHeight() - 250)/2) + "px";

bigImg.src=source;

bigImg.id="bigImg";

bigImg.onclick=killBig();

}

function killBig() {

bigImg.parentNode.removeChild(bigImg);

}

function showBig(source) {

if (bigImg !== null) {

killBig()

}

makeBig(source);

}

Which is supposed to allow me to link thumbnail images with onclick="showBig(source of image)" and display them smack dab center of screen and let me destroy the big image on a second click, but I keep getting an error saying "bigImg.parentNode is null". Is this because it doesn't have a parent, because I just created it? What would I do then? I'm still trying to figure out javascript through and through so all help is very appreciated.

Reiger
February 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM
It's because you have created a loose element which has, sofar, not been attached to a parent in the node tree.

var someParent= /* find it */ ;
someParent.addChild(bigImg);

mnemonik
February 6th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I have been searching like crazy to try and find the answer, and I think you were right about how I created the element but did not place it. I'm pretty sure from all my searching that appendChild is what I need:

var parent = document.getElementById("some_id");
parent.appendChild(bigImg);

So I declared the parent variable outside of my functions, and I put the appendChild line in the makeBig(source) function, so now my code looks like this:

var bigImg = null;

var parent = document.getElementById("content");
//Declare parent

function makeBig(source) {

bigImg = document.createElement('img');

parent.appendChild(bigImg);
//place the bigImg on the page
bigImg.style.position="absolute";

bigImg.style.left=((winWidth() - 800)/2) + "px";

bigImg.style.top=((winHeight() - 250)/2) + "px";

bigImg.src=source;

bigImg.id="bigImg";

bigImg.onclick=killBig();

}

function killBig() {

parent.removeChild(bigImg);

bigImg = null;

}

function showBig(source) {

if (bigImg !== null) {

killBig()

}

makeBig(source);

}

And now when I reload the page and try to click a thumb to incur the showBig(source) function, I get this error: "parent is null" referring to the line
parent.removeChild(bigImg); within the killBig() function. This doesn't make sense because parent is the element with id "content", which I definitely do have in my html...

Reiger
February 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM
It's been a while since I did hardcore JavaScript creating & adding elements from scratch; but here goes a mock up sample using div's & p's for the purpose (and annoying alerts, but hey... ):

<html><head>
<title>Test</title>
<style type="text/css">
#content { background: #555599; color:#330000;}
.child { background: #007733; color: #cccccc;}
</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
var sane=false;
var kidcount=0;

window.onload=function() {
container=document.getElementById('content');
sane = container != null && container != 'undefined';
if(sane)
document.body.onclick=eventHandler;
var msg = 'The test has begun, sanity check: '+(sane ? 'passed, container was found' : 'failed, container could not be found!');
alert(msg);
}
function eventHandler(evt) {
var element=getSource(evt);
if(sane) {
if(element.className=='child')
killKid(element);
else
if(element.id=='content')
appendNewKidTo(element);

}
return sane;
}
function getSource(evt) {
return window.event ? window.event.srcElement : evt.target;
}
function initKid( /* in real world case, use params as required ... */) {
var kid = document.createElement('p');
kid.className='child';
kid.innerHTML="I am paragraph no #"+(kidcount+1)+"; click me to remove me...";

return kid;
}
function appendNewKidTo(parentElement) {
var newkid = initKid();
parentElement.appendChild(newkid);
kidcount++;
alert('Added the new kid!');
}
function killKid(mykid) {
mykid.parentNode.removeChild(mykid);
alert('Killed the kid!');
}
</script>
</head><body>
<div><h2>Sandbox</h2><div id="content">This is my container. Click it to add child paragraphs.</div>
</div>
</body></html>

A couple of remarks about my code:
- I use a top level event handler + event source 'inspection' to keep the 'logic' (interpreting the meaning of the event: did the user add or kill a kid?) contained within a nice central event handler.
- I use the window.onload event/moment to avoid problems with JavaScript's look-ahead evaluation (JavaScript begins executing code ASAP, possibly even before the page is fully loaded) -- simply delaying my JavaScript till I know the browser is ready.
- I use a top level kid counter for user convenience; code wise it might be useful for implementing more complex event handling based on (generated) element IDs.
- I use a sane variable because there's nothing sane to do in a sanity-deprived world.

EDIT: Ooh, and please note that this is a text-based sample -- so only if you click the text will it actually do anything. Shouldn't be a problem with images or buttons, but meh.