PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to find Wireless routers address?

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I had to unplug everything where my computer is located including my computer, my modem , and my router because my grandma wanted to but new carpet in the entire upstairs. After the carpet was put in I plugged everything back in but the router isn't working. I pressed the reset button on the back of the router in hopes that I could type in 192.168.1.1 and be able to connect it to the modem again but that failed. Is there a quick way to find the new
ip address instead of guessing going through 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.255. ?

I don't know if this is part of the problem or not but the WLAN button on the router isn't lighting up but the power, Ethernet , and Internet buttons light up. Also, on the desktop Sometimes but not always where the two computers are (next to the date and time) it says there is no network connection.

And I can only get it back to normal is when I only use the modem (which I'm using now) and the put etheret cable from the router back to the computer again ,but I need the wireless part to play my Wii online again and on Feb. 9 my Playstation 3 online (which I just ordered online yesterday).

Thanks for any help.

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I had to unplug everything where my computer is located including my computer, my modem , and my router because my grandma wanted to but new carpet in the entire upstairs. After the carpet was put in I plugged everything back in but the router isn't working. I pressed the reset button on the back of the router in hopes that I could type in 192.168.1.1 and be able to connect it to the modem again but that failed. Is there a quick way to find the new
ip address instead of guessing going through 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.255. ?

I don't know if this is part of the problem or not but the WLAN button on the router isn't lighting up but the power, Ethernet , and Internet buttons light up. Also, on the desktop Sometimes but not always where the two computers are (next to the date and time) it says there is no network connection.

And I can only get it back to normal is when I only use the modem (which I'm using now) and the put etheret cable from the router back to the computer again ,but I need the wireless part to play my Wii online again and on Feb. 9 my Playstation 3 online (which I just ordered online yesterday).

Thanks for any help.

Are you using DSL with a PPPoE connection? If so, it sounds like either the modem is no longer bridged, or the router has lost it's PPPoE username/password....

abyssius
February 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM

Thanks for any help.

Are you trying to connect to the router wirelessly? You may have to use a wired connection between the router and your computer initially. You may have to re-configure your router for wireless. If the WLAN LED doesn't light, that means there's no wireless connection to the router. It would help if you identified the particular router model. But, after a reset, usually the router's address is either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. The log in is usually admin/admin or no user name and just admin as the password.

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 06:03 AM
When my router was working it used PPPoE connection. Do you you know how to find out the new user name and password because I thought it would go back to the default name and password which was adim and adim and go back to the default IP which was 192.168.1.1

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 06:07 AM
The router model is

Wireless-G
Broadband Router
with 4-Port Switch

Model WRT54G

it was set up the computer connected to the Wireless router with an ethernet cable , the router was then connected to the modem and the my Wii game system connected wirelessly and everything worked just fine.

I'm using a desktop computer with nothing to connected it to the internet wirelessly.

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 06:09 AM
When my router was working it used PPPoE connection. Do you you know how to find out the new user name and password because I thought it would go back to the default name and password which was adim and adim and go back to the default IP which was 192.168.1.1

Has the modem been reset by pressing the hard reset button? If you have reset the modem, and it used to be bridged (for use with a router) you will have to connect the computer directly to the modem first and re-bridge the router before you will be able to connect the router in between.

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I haven't reset the modem by pressing the reset button on the back of the modem. Do you think it could have reset itself when I unpluged it and then plugged it back in a few days later? Ps I'm using the modem only to connect to the internet now.

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 06:14 AM
It's a possibility that an extended time without power could have reset the modem.. Who is your ISP?

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Westell

Should I press the reset button and try to connect the router again?

punx45
February 6th, 2009, 06:19 AM
how long did you hold down the reset button? i think the WRT54G needs like 30 seconds or so for the reset to take effect. if i recall correctly, since i havent had one in a while, hold down the reset button until all the lights on the front blink rapidly together. at least thats how mine went. i had the first revision of the 54G that had link lights on the front for all the wired ports.

either way, the router should either keep the settings it had, or revert to defaults, which was 192.168.1.1 for that model, and just about every other linksys.

you are asking about connecting to the router to get into the setup, right?

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM
NO Definately not. Reseting the modem will cause the modem to lose it's PPPoE username and password completely, then you will have NO internet connection.

You are a Verizon customer, eh? I used to be a Verizon DSL Tech Support Agent.

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Should I hold the reset button down on the router while it is connected to the computer or not? because right now the modem is connceted to computer not the modem.

ps I didn't know Westell was with Verison I guess you learn something new every day.

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Verizon uses almost strictly Westell modems. If Verizon isn't your ISP, who is?

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I thought Sprint was but I'm not sure.

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Well, I don't know anything about how Sprint configures their modems for PPPoE.....

I suppose you could call Sprint's DSL Tech support, but if they are anything like Verizon, if you mention Linux, they won't help you, which is STUPID, because IP networks are IP networks are IP networks, regardless of Operating system

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Do you know any commands in the Network Tools program that could help determine the routers ip anything like pinging something Or doing something in Netstat or Traceroute tabs in the Network Tools program?

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I can tell you that if the WLAN light isn't on on the router when it's connected between the modem and the computer, you are going to have to resolve that issue before your router's DHCP server is going to assign your computer an IP.

It's hard for me to determine whether or not the problem is in the setup of the modem or in the setup of the router.

What model Westell modem, and what make and model router?

When you first got the router, did you have to do any special configuration to make it work with the Westell, or did it work "out-of-the-box"?

punx45
February 6th, 2009, 06:50 AM
you can ping to broadcast, 192.168.1.255 but if you cant figure out the router's IP then its probably not managing traffic from your pc, so that probably wont work.

i feel like we are confusing things here, because the question is about the router and you are talking about modems....

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM
you can ping to broadcast, 192.168.1.255 but if you cant figure out the router's IP then its probably not managing traffic from your pc, so that probably wont work.

i feel like we are confusing things here, because the question is about the router and you are talking about modems....

I know that the way Verizon has their Westell DSL modems configured, in order to use a router, you have to configure the modem in a "bridged" mode, where responsibility for providing the PPPoE username and password was "bridged" to the router. In effect, it made the modem itself a "dumb" device, and the ISP assigned IP was given to the router instead of the modem. The ROUTER then assigned IP's to each device attached.

Again, with Verizon, if you try and connect a router without first bridging the modem, the modem would try and assign a LOCAL IP to the router, which usually conflicted with the router's assigned IP group.

That's why I'm trying to determine if the modem is set up properly. It may not even be the same with Sprint, I don't know.

I'm just trying my best to help.... Sorry if I am muddying the water...

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 07:00 AM
On the bottom of the modem it says the model is E90-610014-26 it doesn't say the make.

Sorry I took so long I went to get something to eat and I haven't eaten since noon and it is midnight here.

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM
On the bottom of the modem it says the model is E90-610014-26 it doesn't say the make.

Sorry I took so long I went to get something to eat and I haven't eaten since noon and it is midnight here.

It's a Westell 6100. Here is a page that might help: Installing a Westell 6100 as a bridge (http://westell6100.com/installing-westell-6100-as-a-bridge/)

Once you do this, you SHOULD be able to connect the router and the WLAN light should light up.

Again, this is the configuration a Verizon PPPoE uses. Sprint could be different. Use this info at your own risk.

punx45
February 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM
hmm, didnt know that. the way it works in my household, the router holds the PPPoE user and pass and all the work is done through that. maybe because its an older modem? (circa 2000)

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 07:17 AM
hmm, didnt know that. the way it works in my household, the router holds the PPPoE user and pass and all the work is done through that. maybe because its an older modem? (circa 2000)

Older DSL modems tend to be "dumb" modems that don't have DHCP servers. If you have that type of modem and you aren't using a router, you have to use a PPPoE commection manager to provide the ISP with a username/password, which then assigns the computer the network IP (from the ISP)

Newer DSL modems (like the Westell 6100) usually provide the means for providing the PPPoE username/password, gets assigned the network IP (from the ISP) and assigns the connected PC a local IP address.

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I'll take a look at that website

also I pluged my router in and the two computers next to the date and time said I had an IP address of 192.168.1.5 but the rest of the stuff had 0.0.0.0 My ip adress with the modem is 192.168.1.5 at least for now.

Does that help?

Ps I found out how to make sure the computer knows I have a something plugged in when I plug in the router. First unplug the router's ethernet cable unplug the routers power supply, plug in the routers ethernet cable then plug in the routers power supply.

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'll take a look at that website

also I pluged my router in and the two computers next to the date and time said I had an IP address of 192.168.1.5 but the rest of the stuff had 0.0.0.0 My ip adress with the modem is 192.168.1.5 at least for now.

Does that help?

OK, so the router is assigning local IP addresses. What happens when you type 192.168.1.1 into the browser with the router attached?

And who is the manufacturer of the router?

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 07:36 AM
One time I went to Linksys web for router info but they refered me Cisco

under the router it says LINKSYS and in small print it says
A Division of Cisco System, Inc. I'm assuming that is the manufacture.

Give me a minute to rehook up the router to try 192.168.1.1

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 07:46 AM
It says firefox can't establish a connection I tried 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.5
ps In a private message you said I can call you do you live in the United States? I will use a sprint phone to call you So it should be free for me since it is after 7PM I'm just not sure about calling other countries.

Warren Watts
February 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I am in Ohio. Definitely in the U.S. of A.

frozenfire0808
February 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I'll call you probably want to send it in a private message though unless you want everyone to know your phone number.