PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reading unfinalized/sony camcorder formatted DVD blanks

PressureGotTheDropOnYou
February 6th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I'm using Ubuntu Studio and I want to edit some footage from my Sony Camcorder. It's an HDR-UX5E model which records onto blank mini-DVD's. This is quite convenient as I don't have to mess around with cables if I don't want to, I can just stick the disc in. Anyway I have a problem here with Sony and its proprietary software crap.

In both windows and here in Ubuntu the discs come up as completely unwritten blanks, I can finalize them with the camera itself but I don't want to do this because each stop and start of the record button is a clip and I want to keep my clip structure intact so I can strip the clips off the disc and edit them. The camera was packaged with some predictably crappy sony software for this purpose but getting this to work under linux is tricky. As I didn't know of anyway to just read the disc without the help of Sony's software, so I decided to install it under wine and then export the clips using the proprietary software so I could get at them under Ubuntu (Incidentally as an aside, the camera records into AVCHD, not supported by any open source video editing software however I have heard that it is a synch to convert this, anyone know some good software I can run under Ubuntu for this purpose?)

The trouble is that the installer won't budge on an error message that it can't find an ISFoundation DLL and gives me error code 0x80040702 under wine. So now I don't really know what to do, my final option is to whenever I want to edit my video boot into windows run the sony software, export the media, save it to my external drive onto which Ubuntu is installed and then boot into that so I can get to it. This seems very convoluted indeed, is there any better way I can do this?

GotNoLife
March 11th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I got a sony camcorder my self. Same problem.

Noone got a solution?
:)

BlackCat13
October 26th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Well I have the same problem too... only just started my search for a solution but the immediate one that springs to mind (which I will be following is never to buy another piece of crap thing from Sony... twitter here I come... see if they respond to some media drubbing