PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple Related Background Questions

Lostin60's
February 5th, 2009, 09:31 PM
OK, my default background is warty-final-ubuntu. And it is in /usr/share/background. There are also several other pics in there, however they don't appear when I open sys>pref>appear. I can add them though, so that isn't really an issue. There is also /usr/share/pixmaps/background/cosmos. There are also several pics in there. I can also add them. But why are they there? Why not in the other background folder? Also, why doesn't sys>pref>appear point to path/to/file/$.png rather than /path/to/file/filename.png? That seems to be how it does it, else all picks in usr/share/background would already be available in sys>pref>appear without having to add them. I assume gnome is what actually causes the selected pic to show as background. So where does it point? I guess that I am basically asking what the actual process is that get a pic from point A to point B. Point B being my desktop. I am aware I can do all this through GUI, but I prefer to know the whys and wherefores of it all. I want to get far more proficient in CLI. If I know the "whys and wherefores" so to speak, I can usually figure out the how-tos on my own. Telling the computer "what" to do is easier than telling it "where" to do it. Any and al help will be greatly appreciated.
aa