PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DVD codec and region change

BradleyAtkins
February 5th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hi Folks

I could do with some help getting a laptop to play DVD's. 2 Problems I think: -

1) Loaded a DVD and launched MoviePlayer. It informed me I needed a new codec to play the DVD and offered me a choice of either of two free ones or to purchase one. I selected to install the first free one in the list and proceeded to install it. Now when I try to play a DVD it tries then pops up a dialogue box informing me there was an error (no details). I cannot get back to the form that offered to let me search for a codec to purchase.
2) I think the DVD drive was previously set to region 1 format when it was a windows machine so I don't know if there is a problem with the codec or just the region settings.

Can anyone tell me how to reset the region to region 2 and how to manually install a propriatry codec if I need one?

Thanks

Brad

wolfen69
February 5th, 2009, 08:16 PM
here is the free one.

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
then

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get updatethen

sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2

SuperSonic4
February 5th, 2009, 08:17 PM
If that doesn't work use regionset

sudo apt-get regionset

sudo regionset

binbash
February 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM
sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 should work

BradleyAtkins
February 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Thanks that got the DVD player working but as I feared only for region 1. Nice to see progress though! I see the other posts below which I will reply to as well, trying the region set command: -

brad@TX5N:~$ sudo apt-get regionset
E: Invalid operation regionset

I thought that command was to go get the regionset application so am puzzled to see it report an invalid operation on the E: drive. Trying the region set command on its own: -

brad@TX5N:~$ sudo regionset
sudo: regionset: command not found

Any ideas?

BradleyAtkins
February 6th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Hi thanks,

Didn't work unfortunately, see my reply to Wolfen.

Do you think maybe I need a driver from Sony or something? This is a Vaio VGN-TX5XN

Thanks for the feedback

Brad

gandaran
February 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Hi Thanks that got the DVD player working but as I feared only for region 1. Nice to see progress though! I see the other posts below which I will reply to as well, trying the region set command: -

brad@TX5N:~$ sudo apt-get regionset
E: Invalid operation regionset

I thought that command was to go get the regionset application so am puzzled to see it report an invalid operation on the E: drive. Trying the region set command on its own: -

brad@TX5N:~$ sudo regionset
sudo: regionset: command not found

Any ideas?
it's sudo apt-get install regionset
you can only change the regionset 3 or 5 times the it locks up

mc4man
February 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
If you have a Matshita laptop dvd drive then it will only allow playback when there is a region match. (no work around
So your forced to pick a region where the bulk of your titles are from and forget about the others.
You're only allowed 4 changes after the initial setting before the drive locks permanently, so if this is the case choose the region carefully.

To ck. what drive you have run

sudo lshw -C disk

BradleyAtkins
February 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Brilliant, thanks very much that did the trick ok.

As you guys are so sharp I'll push my luck and ask you if you can help me with something else.

When I load a DVD a dialogue box opens asking me what application I want to use to play it. This box has an eject button on it that works ok and ejects the CD fine.

However Movie player has the Eject option on the Movie menu greyed out so I cannot eject easily, ( I have to poke a little button on the DVD tray with a pen tip to get it to open. The laptop has dedicated buttons at the base of the screen to use DVD's, (stop / play / eject etc ) but these do not work.

Any ideas on how I can get these working ok?

Using the post about how to discover your drive details from mc4man I got this: -

brad@TX5N:~$ sudo lshw -C disk
[sudo] password for brad:
*-disk
description: ATA Disk
product: TOSHIBA MK1011GA
vendor: Toshiba
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: BK00
serial: 17QGS24FS
size: 93GiB (100GB)