PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] advice on wireless aircard for older laptop

H2Ogood
February 5th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Hello! Just looking for any thoughts / advice:
I have an old Acer TravelMate 210T w/ 312MB of RAM and a new install of Ubuntu 8.10! I'm really hoping to fix this up so that my bro-in-law can use it to surf the net, but need a wireless pcmcia aircard for it. Was hoping to test ubuntu as well and see how he likes it (as he comes from a MAC world).

I've done some reading/research and have found the NETGEAR WPN511 should support ubuntu.

I guess I'm looking for any thoughts/advice/things I should check before I spend the $ on the card? Does this sound like a logical move?

I actually gave him an old Tecra laptop w/ Win98 and a Linksys WRT54G aircard that lasted about 1 day. I don't even want to start supporting an old MS system, so I'd like to get this Acer w/ ubuntu working. I could have him send me the Linksys wrt54g -- should I spend the time trying to get that to work first?

I also have an Aopen AOP-330 pcmcia wired lan card that I haven't messed with, so theres NO internet connection on the laptop.

I'll have to read up on installing any of this, as I'm new to linux/ubuntu, but am SO HAPPY to have something other than MS!!!
I did dapple w/ unix years ago... but that was mostly tinkering.

Ultimately I'd like to have wireless installed so I wasn't sure if installing the wired card now would mess anything up in the future?

Oh, after a lspci:
00:13.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ6812 CardBus Controller (rev 05)

This does mean that the pcmcia slot is visable, correct?

Any encouraging words or thoughts are most welcome and thank you in advance!

-Cheers.

ieee488
February 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I have a D-Link DWL-G630 revC2 that is recognized in Linux out of the box. However, I only use it on an open network, so I don't know about using encryption with it.