PDA

View Full Version : distro of the month

chris200x9
February 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I have subscribed to linux magazine only to find out they stopped sending print editions, so I was "upgraded" to linux pro free. Linux pro comes with a dvd in each issue, however since I was upgraded freely I do not get them. It costs 100 dollars for the subscription with the dvds, and 70 for just the magazine. This got me thinking I can get the magazie with dvds or the magazine without them, but not dvds without the magazine. I came up with an idea to start a linux distro of the month subscribtion service, all you would get is a dvd and a little insert telling about the distro. These dvds would be home burned but labeled nicely with lightscribe at a total cost of $34.95 a year (as long as in USA, I will figure out international prices later). Do you see any such demand for a service like this?

earthpigg
February 5th, 2009, 06:22 PM
i think most linux users are tech savvy to own a dvd-rw or two.

you could make a youtube channel, and become popular enough to be a 'youtube partner' and share ad revenue.

i'd subscribe to a 'distro of the month' youtube channel.

Wv0wvw88wvw0vW
February 5th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Great idea! +1

shadowdude1794
February 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I would do it.

jrusso2
February 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I can just download for free any Linux I want. Why would I pay for that from you?

I would buy a good magazine about Linux though and I have many times.

chris200x9
February 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM
i think most linux users are tech savvy to own a dvd-rw or two.

you could make a youtube channel, and become popular enough to be a 'youtube partner' and share ad revenue.

i'd subscribe to a 'distro of the month' youtube channel.

thank you, this is an awesome idea maybe I can do both like on my youtube be like subscribe and try all of these distros for 34.95/year

Great idea! +1

my or the youtube idea?

I would do it.

my idea or the youtube idea?

I can just download for free any Linux I want. Why would I pay for that from you?

I would buy a good magazine about Linux though and I have many times.

convinence for one, a new distro every month like clock work delivered to your door. People may still have dial up, etc.

techmarks
February 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Perhaps for the OS connoisseur?

Do many people really try a new Linux distro every month?

Besides if you just want a distro put on a DVD for you there's the OSdisc.com and Linuxpusher.com and other service sites like that.

You just order what you need, when you need it.

Also magazines like Linux Format have sometimes two or 3 distros on their DVD.

And with the Linux identity kits you get the distro DVD and a manual to go with it.

chris200x9
March 15th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Hi, if I may I'd like to anounce I have my site up now :) check it out at:
www.linuxdistroofthemonth.com :D

dragos240
March 15th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Uh interesting...

Eisenwinter
March 15th, 2009, 01:30 AM
...tech savvy...
This is totally off-topic, but I just wanted to say, that I hate the phrase "tech savvy", or "<anything> savvy".

I don't know why, I just hate the word "savvy", its' sound annoys me.

namegame
March 15th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Uh interesting...

Definitely...there's no way I'm going to give my money to some random individual who has no credentials and no guarantee to the services that are claimed to be provided. It just doesn't make sense to me.

chris200x9
March 15th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Definitely...there's no way I'm going to give my money to some random individual who has no credentials and no guarantee to the services that are claimed to be provided. It just doesn't make sense to me.

that is actually a good point never thought about that....meh I already have a hosting package (for other reasons) and I already bought the domain...I guess I'll leave it up...I was actually quite optomistic about it until I read your post, thanks alot :P