PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Share refuses to work

oldcelt
February 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I've installed Ubuntu dual boot with XP. The network (ethernet) seems to work ok and I can see other machines on the LAN. Internet connection works fine.

However, when I try to set up a share on a folder created within the /home partition it doesn't work. Every time I try to create a share it says "Sharing service is not installed". I click on "install service" and it then says "restart session".

I do that but when it's restarted and I try to share a folder it goes through the same routine again!

I tried making a folder on the desktop and the same thing happens.

What is happening here - I'm just going around in circles! :(

Ken

Iowan
February 6th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I presume the service it wants/needs to install is Samba. Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba) is a help page for setting up Samba - hope it helps.

oldcelt
February 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Bingo! Many thanks.

I've moved the Ubuntu machine from the default 'Workgroup' to my LAN workgroup. 'Workgroup' is now empty - how can I remove it please?

Ken

Another Monkey
February 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
"Workgroup" should disappear on its own. It is just Windows/Samba-service remembering that something used to be in that.

After a while they should realise that nothing is there any more and drop it. That's been my experience anyway.

I am sure someone who knows a lot more would be able to tell you how to specifically remove it.

oldcelt
February 6th, 2009, 01:55 PM
You're absolutely right. 'Workgroup' has now disappeared.

TVM