PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange ADSL problem.

Dean1982
February 5th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Hello all, I am a new and very happy user of UBUNTU ( why I have used windows for so long I do not know ).

I am wondering if it would be possible for someone to help this new user out ?

I have installed Ubuntu 8.10 and have a recurring problem with my ADSL not being recognised at startup, I run Sudo pppoeconf and the system still does not recognise it.

However if I go into my partitioned windows XP the ADSL is recognised and works fine.

Here comes the unusual ( to me ) part.

If I go back into Ubuntu after using XP internet, it functions fine, saying "connected to the WIRED network", its almost like using it in XP allows UBUNTU to recognise it. ( odd ? ).

I can not think what is going wrong here, maybe I have configured it wrong.

I do notice on the grub selection screen, I have a number of Ubuntu's at different dates, which I do not presume is normal, could this be a factor ?

Anyway I thank you for any help you can give me, I apologise I am new to this system, but I am very eager to learn and very excited by the possibilities.

Thank you so much all.

Dean1982
February 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I have tried checking the Kernel is installed properly and everything is fine.

It is incredibly odd, I have now established that the connection works every time if I load up windows first.

I could not really find anything online that could be causing this.

Any ideas ? It is almost as if Windows causes the ADSL to boot up again in Linux which makes no sense to me.

Gracious gracious thanks for any help you guys can give me, if I can get the internet working everytime I will never need use windows again.

Dean1982
February 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Ok, so I have checked sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces

and received the following information

"auto lo
iface lo inet loopback"

Ifconfig when the internet works in ubuntu displays the following.

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:54:0f:13:3c
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:21 Base address:0xa000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:44:aa:ce:9a
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:16 Base address:0x9000

eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:05:1b:00:41:e1
inet addr:192.168.0.3 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::205:1bff:fe00:41e1/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:82943 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:60884 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:118138959 (118.1 MB) TX bytes:4911003 (4.9 MB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:12 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:752 (752.0 B) TX bytes:752 (752.0 B)

The thing that puzzles me is the connection working everytime without fail if I log on using windows first, then use Ubuntu afterwords, in some way I feel I would be able to resolve the issue easier if the wired network did not connect at all in ubuntu, it is the sporadic nature of the problem that is troubling.

Again thanks if anyone can help me.

puppywhacker
February 17th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Hi,

your problem is very weird, there is not much information to go on. your eth2 has ip-address 192.168.0.3 which is an internal address. otherwise I have no clue about your connections. like you mentioned pppoeconf, but that is only needed if you have to login to your adsl-account, which is not very popular in europe. you have three other interfaces that might confuse the network manager. You have shown your interfaces file to be virtually empty which means that the network manager is supposed to take care of establishing connections, but it works best on very simple network setups. Also it's a bit puzzling why your adsl would work if it has been connected via XP. There is virtually nothing which windows can influence on the NIC. some odd fireware and registers maybe but those should not matter. maybe it's the operator who opens the connection in some way that you don't execute in linux in the same way. In that case pppoe might be the reason, if you restart in linux the connection is already established....

you see. I'm just as puzzled as you are. I'm puzzled because I don't know enough about your network. could you execute these commands? although it's more a shot in the dark than a long shot ... goodluck anyway

route
iptables -L -v
dig www.google.com
ping 192.168.0.1
ping www.google.com

Dean1982
February 18th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Hi,

your problem is very weird, there is not much information to go on. your eth2 has ip-address 192.168.0.3 which is an internal address. otherwise I have no clue about your connections. like you mentioned pppoeconf, but that is only needed if you have to login to your adsl-account, which is not very popular in europe. you have three other interfaces that might confuse the network manager. You have shown your interfaces file to be virtually empty which means that the network manager is supposed to take care of establishing connections, but it works best on very simple network setups. Also it's a bit puzzling why your adsl would work if it has been connected via XP. There is virtually nothing which windows can influence on the NIC. some odd fireware and registers maybe but those should not matter. maybe it's the operator who opens the connection in some way that you don't execute in linux in the same way. In that case pppoe might be the reason, if you restart in linux the connection is already established....

you see. I'm just as puzzled as you are. I'm puzzled because I don't know enough about your network. could you execute these commands? although it's more a shot in the dark than a long shot ... goodluck anyway

route
iptables -L -v
dig www.google.com
ping 192.168.0.1
ping www.google.com

Thanks so much for your help, I really is completely appreciated.

Here is my report back.

dean@dean-desktop:~$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 1 0 0 eth2
link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 eth2
default www.routerlogin 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth2
dean@dean-desktop:~$ iptables -L -v
iptables v1.4.0: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
dean@dean-desktop:~$ dig www.google.com

; <<>> DiG 9.5.0-P2 <<>> www.google.com
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 30398
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.com. 601709 IN CNAME www.l.google.com.
www.l.google.com. 111 IN A 216.239.59.104
www.l.google.com. 111 IN A 216.239.59.103
www.l.google.com. 111 IN A 216.239.59.99
www.l.google.com. 111 IN A 216.239.59.147

;; Query time: 31 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Feb 17 23:27:33 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 116

dean@dean-desktop:~$ ping 192.168.0.1
PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=1.57 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=1.03 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=255 time=0.913 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=4 ttl=255 time=0.767 ms

This is after logging on to windows, my network is connecting to an isp ( pipex ) via adsl.

I use a usb router/modem "Netgear DG834G", which is part of a tiny wireless network ( one other system being a laptop ).

Once again it worked perfectly after connecting in Windows XP, in fact it works every time after booting up windows XP first.

As a test I deleted the non essential network components ( the ones that do not connect ) to see if a simplified set up would help anything and I still got the same problem.

Thanks so much for your help, even if I can not resolve this it has been a great learning experience ( learning that not everything can be fixed ).

Dean1982
February 18th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Here is my results from when the network on Ubuntu does not work ( in case anyone can recognise a discrepancy or difference that I am to new to this to recognise ).

route
iptables -L -v
dig www.google.com
ping 192.168.0.1
ping www.google.co

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
connect: Network is unreachable
dean@dean-desktop:~$ ping www.google.co
ping: unknown host www.google.co
dean@dean-desktop:~$
dean@dean-desktop:~$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
dean@dean-desktop:~$ iptables -L -v
iptables v1.4.0: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Permission denied (you must be root)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
dean@dean-desktop:~$ dig www.google.com

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
connect: Network is unreachable
dean@dean-desktop:~$ ping www.google.co
ping: unknown host www.google.co

Thanks again.

puppywhacker
February 18th, 2009, 11:57 AM
From your output it shows that 192.168.0.1 is your adsl modem also acting as DNS server. The rest is not relevant

OK, I googled on PIPEX a bit and I found they are using PPPoA (point to point protocol over ATM) which is a bit different than PPPoE (over Ethernet)

Basically they use PPP to authenticate you as a user, you do this in windows, log in the linux and your link survives. It is simulated dail-up connection over ADSL using the ATM layer rather than the Ethernet layer.

I'm not sure but in linux you can use pppd (probably in combination with pppoeconf or wvdial) to connect to your internet privder.

Googling a bit more I found somebody posted his pppd settings for his pipex connection and that may help you further.

interface ATM0
no ip address
no atm ilmi-keepalive
atm vc-per-vp 64
dsl operating-mode auto
pvc 0/38
encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
dialer pool-member 1

interface Dialer 1
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer-group 1
ppp authentication chap pap callin
ppp chap hostname (isp_username)
ppp chap password (isp_password)
ppp pap sent-username (isp_username) password

I would experiment a few days with pppd to get the big picture and start a new thread about what you run into.

goodluck

Dean1982
February 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM
From your output it shows that 192.168.0.1 is your adsl modem also acting as DNS server. The rest is not relevant

OK, I googled on PIPEX a bit and I found they are using PPPoA (point to point protocol over ATM) which is a bit different than PPPoE (over Ethernet)

Basically they use PPP to authenticate you as a user, you do this in windows, log in the linux and your link survives. It is simulated dail-up connection over ADSL using the ATM layer rather than the Ethernet layer.

I'm not sure but in linux you can use pppd (probably in combination with pppoeconf or wvdial) to connect to your internet privder.

Googling a bit more I found somebody posted his pppd settings for his pipex connection and that may help you further.

interface ATM0
no ip address
no atm ilmi-keepalive
atm vc-per-vp 64
dsl operating-mode auto
pvc 0/38
encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
dialer pool-member 1

interface Dialer 1
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer-group 1
ppp authentication chap pap callin
ppp chap hostname (isp_username)
ppp chap password (isp_password)
ppp pap sent-username (isp_username) password

I would experiment a few days with pppd to get the big picture and start a new thread about what you run into.

goodluck

Wow thanks for your input, I would love to be able to solve this, I feel I am getting closer thanks to your help, I am doing my research on pppd and will post a new thread if I can resolve this issue.

My modem is not recognised in either pppoeconf or wvdial, which makes things even more interesting.

I even tried an app called ubudsl, but that would not recognise my modem either.

Seems like for the time being I may be stuck needing Windows as a back up.