PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] manual IP configuration not surviving reboot

rsleventhal
February 5th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Hi folks,

I'm a new Ubuntu user, but not new to Linux.

I've just installed Intrepid on my PC and all is well, but for one thing.

I don't use DHCP on this network but when I manually configure the IP/Netmask/Gateway, the changes I put into effect don't survive rebooting the machine. In other words, it's all set back to DHCP again and I have to manually reconfigure.

Were this RHEL or CentOS, I'd edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but as that doesn't exist on my new favorite desktop linux distro, I'm at a loss.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Ray

DGortze380
February 5th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Hi folks,

I'm a new Ubuntu user, but not new to Linux.

I've just installed Intrepid on my PC and all is well, but for one thing.

I don't use DHCP on this network but when I manually configure the IP/Netmask/Gateway, the changes I put into effect don't survive rebooting the machine. In other words, it's all set back to DHCP again and I have to manually reconfigure.

Were this RHEL or CentOS, I'd edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, but as that doesn't exist on my new favorite desktop linux distro, I'm at a loss.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-Ray

You're looking for /etc/network/interfaces

rsleventhal
February 5th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Well, isn't it just like me to find the answer after posting. I have found this page and will try this tomorrow when at that machine...

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-ubuntu-linux-convert-dhcp-network-configuration-to-static-ip-configuration.html

I'll post the results.

-Ray

rsleventhal
February 5th, 2009, 04:29 AM
You're looking for /etc/network/interfaces

Thanks DGortze...much appreciated.

-Ray

Iowan
February 6th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I bookmarked your link - here (http://www.prash-babu.com/2009/01/how-to-setup-static-ip-in-ubuntu.html) is another method... but use what works!