PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] apache2 two sites in subfolders?

neuromancer2701
February 4th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I have been running a wordpress mu site(experimental). I put a new installation in the root and the old site in the a subfolder.

I can access both sites but when I click on links on the subfolder site they link back to the main one. All the links are display correctly when hovered over.

ie url/alpha/groups/ is displayed but when click it takes you to url/groups/

I have been messing around with splitting them out into two separate folders /var/www/beta/ and /var/www/alpha/ but I don't think that I am configuring apache2 correctly.

What would be the best way to do this? It should not be a problem if the test users have to add /alpha/ to the url manually to get the old site.

Thanks
Seth

Poleh
February 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM
I have been messing around with splitting them out into two separate folders /var/www/beta/ and /var/www/alpha/ but I don't think that I am configuring apache2 correctly.

What would be the best way to do this? It should not be a problem if the test users have to add /alpha/ to the url manually to get the old site.

Thanks
Seth

Definately splitting into two sites is best - this is known as vhosts and allows you run multiple sites on a single server. This is a good way to keep instances of installs separate and test functionality.

Here's a good link to a vhosts tut - not the current version of Ubuntu but it is still relevant: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/01/09/setting-up-name-based-virtual-hosting/

Moving websites to sub-folders, particularly dynamic ones like Wordpress is always prone to break things - you could try checking your wordpress setup for a "document / site root" which refers to the top-level of the site, and change that to point to the sub-folder you moved things to.

GL!